We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

8 posts
Save Topic
key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

Let me begin this delicate question by saying I am the proud parents of a lesbian. And my husband is friendly and has a great sense of humor. That being said, he is hetero and would probably get irritable if he was hit on too many times or catcalled a lot. :P And the only reason I ask is a friend of mine told me back in the 90's when they were there , the majority of people out at night were gay men being excessively loud and being deliberately annoying to hetero men. Like I said we dont care and even fully support gay rights but dont necessarily want to feel like outsiders either. Has anyone experienced this situation too? Or is it probably just this couples perception, or maybe it was like that back then ? PLEASE Reply only with respectful answers.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

You will have no problems whatsoever IMO. I have been to Key West many times and being a het male myself have never experienced anything of that nature. Im not a gay phob and dont really care what anyone else does with there sexuality. I think you will find it very comfortable and will have no problems. This is my opinion and Im stickin to it. Good luck!

Kazman

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

My guy is pretty cute and no one has hit on him except me ;)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

I never thought of KW being obnoxious in any way. Good heavens, I bring my kids there. The late night action has a distinct party atmosphere, but nothing unusual. It's a great place to have a good, but maybe a little unusual, time.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

We (my wife and i)have been in Bars with guy couples and singles and have never felt uncomfortable. If you do feel uncomfortable at any time just leave there are so many places to have fun in KW.

PJ

8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

Thats awesome because our family is exactly the same! We go to local hamburger marys and love it, so thats great ! I asked because I have wanted to go to key west ever since I first heard of it and had never heard that before. And I know in some peoples minds some of a particular thing that makes them uncomfortable turns into it's ALL that way. We LOVE and aim for the extraordinary and BELIEVE thats the best part of living !

Edited: 22 December 2011, 23:31
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

Thats awesome because ource family is exactly tbe same! We go to local hamburger matys amd love it, so tbats great ! I asked because I have wanted to go to key west ever since I first heard of it and had never heard that before. And I know in some peoples minds some of a particular thing that makes them uncomfortable turns into it's all that way. We LOVE and aim for the extraordinary and thats the best part of living !

Edited: 22 December 2011, 23:32
Jacksonville Beach...
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

ha I would have so much fun with this....honey that's too flashy to wear you want to be hit on, those jeans are far too tight you might look gay, umm keeps your buns to the wall..what took you so long in the men's room, those guys bought u a drink...hehe :)

Never felt threatened even when they ran some flag down the street.....just play gay or European it's a blast :)

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

sorry new phone guessing words for me on one of tbose! :D

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

muwahaha! I didnt think of that !

NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: key west night life, is it uncomfortably gay ,

We are gay and just returned - KW is a great town - not as gay as you may have heard, but then again it's ONR BIG HAPPY FAMILY. Everyone accepts you for who you are there. Even being gay we were never hit on (accept from a hetero sexual fantasy house, where the same woman sittung outside each evening would ask us if we wanted to have some fun). We were in mostly gay places with more strait folks than not. While it's gay friendly - it's everyone friendly. We did not see any of what you are questioning going on :). Go and have a blast!