We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

Florida
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

http://keysnews.com/node/37028

Joe Walsh is the majority owner of Caroline's Cafe, Fogarty's Restaurant, Jack Flats, Redfish Bluefish and Mangoes Restaurant, all in Old Town Key West. This is really bad if true. Those servers bust their butts. I always try to tip in cash when using a credit or debit card. A server told me a long time ago that if you want them having the tip that was the best way.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

I liked Joe better in the James Gang.

We always tip in cash....

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

Very sad if true.... : (

This is one of many reasons why I always take care of my servers in cash.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

MOST places, it makes no difference if it's left in cash or CC (the tip). The servers get their money.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

yes, but don't cash tips leave less of a trail than credit cards for the IRS?

I try to always pay with credit cards so I don't have to carry around a lot of cash (and I get cash back on Discover) and I would like to see anyone abusing the tips paid out to the servers "hung up by their Busterbrowns" (to quote the Mayor of Amity Island!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,882 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

It is my understanding that in many cases the IRS 'assume' tips of 10% and such is deducted from wages of servers? So the IRS gets their cut.

UK restaurants quite often take the tips left by CC. It is an awful practice.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,206 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

8% is required to claim. The IRS does assume this. Cash or CC it's taken out. That's where the hourly wage goes - as a server you get a very small paycheck because of this. (and don't forget - the servers are paying out of their tips too, to bar, food runners, busser et etc etc. that's why they ask for the 8% but not the expected 15% +. There's even a few places that the house takes a tip from each server) There are also a place here that pays each server $100 a day - regarless of what they made. So, during hell week they get the $100. Not so fabulous. But, come Sept when it's super slow, maybe one table, they still get $100. (plus their hour pay)

Whoever is doing payroll does the 8% based on that servers sales, the server (or other tipped employee) doesn't do the input unless they want more claimed.

As a waiter etc - you know what that place is doing before your first day (Unless they are being sneaky like maybe the story place is, I didn't read the whole article - dont have a cc on me)

If the house has an up to date POS system, the server gets their CC money right away. usually.......

Edited: 07 January 2012, 14:38
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,230 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

<<Whoever is doing payroll does the 8% based on that servers sales, the server (or other tipped employee) doesn't do the input unless they want more claimed.>>

That may be true in practice but according to the IRS a server is required to keep a tip report and turn it in to their employer for tax purposes.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

I did not read the whole story because they wanted to charge you. I hate that the Blue paper went out of business. They would have had the whole story on line. I asked this hoping someone that lived in Key West full time would have the true scoop.

9. Re: Recent story in the Key West citizen, true or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 10:21