We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

Living in Michigan, a couple of friends (in their 60's) want to rent a place for 6 weeks next winter in Key West. They don't like water sports or fishing. I think they will be bored, whereas in Fort Myers they could drive to Sarasota, Tampa, Siesta Key, Naples...

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
72 reviews
from US$145.00*
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
57 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

You are totally correct - unless they are into bars and the night scene. In fact for that length of time they could do 3 weeks around your place and 3 weeks in the Sarasota area (or Naples if they want a little more of an upscale place).

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Edited: 07 January 2012, 16:16
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

FLbook, you may want to ask your friends what exactly they want to get out of their vacation. We have many local seniors here (and snowbirds) who don't fish, but they do enjoy the water in other ways, enjoy the weather, the sense of community, the restaurants, the wine bars, etc. The list goes on. Not everybody who lives here (or visits) gets sloshed every night or fishes. Some, both older and younger, just like to relax around the pool, have leisurely lunches, etc.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

I think FMB might be just right for you. A gulf front condo would be best and you have so many to choose from.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

Key West is an island 4 miles long and 2 miles wide which limits your land based activities. For someone not wanting watersports and fishing I would suggest Ft Myers Beach as the better choice.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
700 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

It's pretty easy to research both places to find what you like. I envy your friends position of having the choice, and for six weeks!

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

Just spent 5 days in KW and 4 in FMB.....there's no contest!

We found FMB totally dead after 6 (we are no night owls).

There's enough interesting walks/bars/cafes to cater for everyone's tastes without travelling further afield!

Enjoy wherever you choose!

fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

Thank you so much all of you, especially AhHah for your suggestion: they decided to split the time between the two places, more in FMB than Key West. A little more research, as I and some of you suggested, showed that Key West may be a little too laid back for them, for that amount of time. Logistics also played a huge part: Instead of flying to Miami, renting a car and then drive 3 hours + to Key West, they can fly into Fort Myers, rent a car and be in FMB in less than one hour . They can take lots of day trips from there before heading to Key West.

In the end, I'll be the lucky one to enjoy a guest room in both places while they're here. Yessss!!!!

Thanks once again for your suggestions; it's my first time on a forum here, and reading some of your posts have been a great help..

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

Something for them to consider is cost and availability of rentals. We stay six weeks in Key West because we love it there, but for what we spend we could get a place in Ft. Myers for twice as long.

new jersey
Level Contributor
146 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

we just came back from 10 days in the Keys and 10 days in FM... it took us 4 and 1/2 hours to drive from FM down 75 and across to 1 to get to KW... get the SunPass Mini to solve the toll issue... also, while in FMB, take a drive to Sanibel / Captiva... While in the FM area, you might also check out whats playing at the Barbara Mann center for performing arts... great broadway quality shows...

10. Re: Six weeks in Key West or Fort Myers Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2013, 10:22