We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting through VRBO

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Renting through VRBO

I have a general question about VRBO. What questions should I ask the owners? What do you think I need to know?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting through VRBO

Address

City rules

House rules

Payment amounts and timeline requirements

Refundable deposit amounts and when they will be returned

Copy of rental agreement

Renters responsibilities

Owner responsibilities

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting through VRBO

I would add written proof that they have a transient license if you are renting for less then 30 days.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting through VRBO

I agree with SDT. In fact, with so many reputable, licensed realtors in town I think I'd stick with renting through one of them.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting through VRBO

Taking another point of view, as a rental owner, I can charge less, and give the customer as good, if not better service, than my renters got when I listed with a realtor.

The realtors have a bunch of rental listings, renters all want the same thing at the same time.

Don't be so quick to write off VRBO. In fact I would suggest just the opposite, work with the owner directly, rather than a third party realtor whose main concern is the commission.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting through VRBO

I'm with Buffetguy again. We have rented from VRBO for the last few years.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting through VRBO

BG - If it were me looking for a rental and you had one, of course I'd rent with you. But if we were in another town where you knew nobody, would you be as comfortable renting from a stranger? I sure wouldn't, especially in light of all the rental scams in Key West recently.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting through VRBO

DO NOT RENT FROM CAPTAIN SPANKY (aka Brian Demambro) ON THAT SITE!!! We rented from him the week after Christmas and when city inspectors showed up knocking on the door, we found out that the house was not a legal rental.

I have heard great things about VRBO, but after my experience, I would never rent through there again.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting through VRBO

We've rented through VRBO a few times for our Key West visits when we stayed in the Truman Annex. Of course, you should always do your homework, but we've never had any issues. I know we've gotten better prices than if we'd gone through an agency.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting through VRBO

We've used VRBO many many times, most times securing accommodations in Truman Annex.

Ask about cleaning

Ask for an emergency contact number of someone who is in KW that can assist you if any problems emerge. Especially if you see/uncover problems when you arrive and do your walk thru -like no light bulbs in the lamps/overhead lighting - toliets that don't flush - missing remotes, "missing" electronic equipment that was stated in the listing - take a copy of the listing on VRBO and your emails/rental agremeent with you to KW

Ask about linens, towels and if there are any paper products included - you would be surprized with some of the responses I've received

Ask about the transient license - critical for short term rentals

Ask for the specific check in and check out times and whether or not someone will have access to your property while you are staying there, you'd be surprized at owner's who schedule maintenance, painting, TERMITE inspections and extermination serivices, etc, for the week you rented.

If there is a pool, ask what times it it open and available

If you need parking (shouldn't plan on a car in old town though) ask about that

Like I said, we have used VBRO for many trips down and now have found the perfect unit with the perfect owner! Shhh..its our secret.

Good luck

F&F

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting through VRBO

We have never rented in Key West through VRBO but have rented in the states and internationally using VRBO.

We have had very good experiences with them. We rented a villa directly through the owner on VRBO in Tortola for half of the price a realty company was going to charge for the same house at the same time.

Get answers to your questions about Key West