We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Route Question

Chillicothe, OH
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Route Question

We are leaving from Ohio & driving to Key West very soon. We are thinking about driving down Rt. 75. What is the best & fastest way to cut across Florida to get to Key West? We could take Rt. 77 from Ohio to Rt. 95, but we don't like to drive Rt. 77 very much. Any sugestions would be helpful!!

Thanks!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Route Question

Quickest way will be to stay on 75, picking up Alligator Alley in Naples, cutting over.

The slower, but more scenic route, would be to pick up Hwy41, aka Tamiami Trail in Naples, which cuts across right on the edge of the Everglades.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Route Question

I've been taking I-75 to the Florida Turnpike and staying on it till Florida City. There's been some construction around Orlando but it hasn't slowed traffic much and may be done now. I have run into heavy backed up traffic in the Tampa area, and taking I-75 all the way is about 50 miles longer. With that said MarkBee lives there so would know better. Turnpike will have tolls.

Looks like I-77 to I-95 is one to two hundred miles shorter from where you live.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 21:17
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Route Question

Actually Highway 41 is a little quicker, AND more scenic.

Alligator Ally just seems faster because you can drive 85 mph.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Route Question

If you don't mind paying the tolls take the Turnpike straight off the I-75 from where it begins in the Ocala area all the way to the end of it.

To get a little discount off the tolls get the Sunpass Mini mailed to you before you leave Ohio. See www.sunpass.com for details and in particular read about the cashless part of the Turnpike in the Miami area.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Route Question

this comes up every so often here is a post I made awhile back.

tripadvisor.com/…31734923

I have driven from the Key West to the Cleveland area a few times (and back) I normally take my directions to the Naples area then hop on 75. I have in the past also taken the turnpike up to 75.

Bonez

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Route Question

Turnpike may actually be quicker. I responded without that in mind even, as I never use it, and am cheap, and don't want to pay the tolls.

Should not usually encounter too much traffic on I-75 near Tampa. It will get heavier, but not too bad if you stay on I-75, and don't get on I-275...

7. Re: Driving Route Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2013, 10:23