We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west, bikes & Doubletree

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
key west, bikes & Doubletree

So possibly planning a trip to key west -- likely staying at Doubletree (points) ... I know old town seems to be the place, but hard to beat free at the DT.

Anyway, I know the doubletree has a shuttle -- we also love to ride bikes. Would it be reasonable to rent bikes if we are staying at the DT and could we reasonably get around the island using the DT shuttle & bikes (and no car)?

Probably visiting in April, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

If you rent bikes there is a bike path that heads along the Atlantic side and the Gulf side of the Island, these routes will keep you off on the main roads it will be about 4 miles to the intersection of Tuman and Duval. I would rent bikes (search bike rentals above) but the wife and I are bike riders not sure how you are on a bike. Use the shuttle for night time if you will be drinking. Pick up a map and learn the side streets like Southard from White is one way too Duval with a bike lane and Fleming is one way out to White with a bike lane.

PJ

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

Thanks, PJ -- I am a former bike rider, in that I don't have a bike anymore. ... DH hasn't had one in a while.

Both of us are comfortable with leisure riding -- but not sure either of us would be comfortale in a lot of traffic.

Can you give me an idea how busy it is there? (Most of our vacations are either to Hawaii -- no place I'd bike there, even in the bike lanes, because the roads are narrow and busy!) or to the North Fla Gulf Coast, which has miles and miles of dedicated bike trail that's off the road.

I am assuming bike lanes are with traffic -- but what is the size of the roads and how much traffic (and how do they drive)?

We are not huge drinkers but we would probably take the shuttle at night anyway. Could we, though, ride to stock island, for example?

Thanks!

conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

The DT shuttle is convienent to use and helps getting around the island.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,376 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

You will have no problems biking in Key West. As already stated, there is a bike path along the water and beach along South Roosevelt that gets you most of the way to Old Town. In Old Town, avoid riding your bike on Whitehead, Truman, Eaton and Simonton. These are busier streets without bike lanes. Any of the other streets in Old Town will be fine.

You can Bike to Stock Island easily from the Doubletree. Just be careful at the entrance to Key West. I recommend Eaton Street Bikes for rentals. They will bring the bikes to your hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

Konagirl, was your bike a Kona? That is a bike manufacturer. : )

The roads are any town USA, so like any town stay off the main roads when you can and at rush hour times once you learn the side roads biking KW is awesome it's flat the houses and scenery are great. Stock Island is a breeze from DT we did it from Old Town on a tandom.

"how do they drive" again same as anywhere else most people are nice some are idiots.

PJ

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

Look at renting scooters, then you don't need the shuttle and can go where you want when you want.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

Konagirl, I bike all over the island and up the keys. I stay off duval and Truman otherwise no issues. You can explore some of the side streets and if you get lost its no big deal there's always someone to offer directions. Dedicated bike lane on the north side of us 1 leaving and entering kw to take you to stock island. The speed limit in kw is very low 35 and under but as stated before always ride with traffic and obey all the usual traffic rules.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

Thanks for the all the info & the suggestion for rentals ... will check it out, esp as I was wondering how to get the bikes to the hotel...

I thought about scooters but sure would like the exercise of the bike to trade off for the eating that we're planning to do :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

Oh, and PJ, my bike was a trek -- Kona, as in the town on the Big Island of Hawaii... :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: key west, bikes & Doubletree

One issue with bicycling in Old Town is at intersections. You will see lots of jaywalkers or people crossing against a red light, though this is mostly at Duval.

Be very careful approaching an intersection, even if you have the right of way. I've had people step out in front of me because they didn't see a car coming, so they though it was okay.

Try to get a bike with the old fashioned bell on the handlebars and ring it often.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 19:15