We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
628 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

where should we stay for the 4th of July weekend / husband's birthday weekend?

we are in our early 30s, no kids, would like to be very close to the action (but not necessarily in the middle of it) and hopefully a nice beachfront area.

Casa Marina, Southernmost on the Beach and Hyatt have caught my eye and seem to be on par with the types of resorts / hotels we enjoy. The Reach also looks nice too. We are Marriott people but doesn't look like those are great options in KW.

Where would you stay and why? This will be our 2nd trip to KW, the first was a cruise stop and we loved it.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

FYI, there is an annual fourth of july picnic at the casa that takes up all the beach and outdoor area but not pools. You would have a great view of the fireworks but it is jammed with both locals and tourists on that day and evening. I think you would be much happier at SMOB, nearer to the action and on a public, but well kept, beach. Lot's of kids at Casa and Reach as well due to holiday weekend.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
628 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

thanks! another question - what are the rules about drinking / BYOB on the beach in front of SMOB? Or any beach in KW for that matter?

priorities !! ;)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,405 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

You've mentioned the places in Key West with a beach except one - the Pier House at 1 Duval Street. Might as well browse their web page, too.

www.pierhouse.com

Pjk

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

For me the location of the Hyatt and Pier House outweighs the beaches of the Casa, Reach or SMOB. Nothing like being able to walk five minutes to Mallory Square or the Harbor Walk.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

I agree that the location of the Hyatt being closer to the action area of Duval street / mallory square make it a better option. I have stayed at the Reach (Between Casa and SMOTB), but I had a car and used it to get to where I wanted to go so location was not much of an issue. Our next trip down we will be staying at the Hyatt.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

For "closest to action" best place, go with Hyatt. For best beach, go with The Reach, which is about 1.5 miles from Hyatt, with lots of restaurants, bars, And shops in between.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

To answer your question, no byob on public beaches, legally at least. Smoking,alas, is legal.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

I've stayed at the Reach and was on the grounds of both the Casa and SMOTB and all were very nice , but the location of the Hyatt would win out with me. No byob , but the Southernmost Beach Cafe sells drinks and at Fort Jefferson , there is a snack shack that sells beer.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

We stayed at SMOTB in Oct 2009 and loved it. About 4 weeks ago we stayed at The Reach Resort and also loved it. Next time, we will stay at either SMOTB, The Reach or Casa Marina (which we checked out recently while staying at the Reach)..cost will be the deciding factor.

While SMOTB, The Reach and Casa Marina are near the "quiet" end of Duval Street, we love the location. Both times, we had beach access during the day and at night, we walked anywhere on Duval Street. We ate at the Rooftop Cafe both times which is located near the Hyatt. We walked to and from it with no problem. It's about a 15-20 minute walk. If you guys are active, you won't mind.

Neither hotel that we stayed at had lots of kids but we also went when school was in session.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
628 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa Marina vs SMOTB vs Hyatt

Thanks! While I prefer the location of the Hyatt, I think we are going to go with SMOTB because of the bit of beach that it offers. I know Key West is not a beach town, but if I am technically on an island, I want to see some sand in my toes :)

We are pretty active and most of the time vacation in spots where we end up walking a ton (Vegas, NOLA, Aruba etc) so a mile walk (or bike ride) down Duval would be no problem and will probably be smart after all the food and drink I intend on consuming.

Thanks so much for all your responses :) Looking forward to visiting this great place again !!