We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Key West

SoDak
3 posts
Save Topic
First Time in Key West

In a couple I will be in Key West for the first time. On my honeymoon... :) What do you recommend to a first-timer? Beaches, restaurants, etc. Staying at the Marriott Beachside which I understand is a ways from Duval St. though I do understand they have a shuttle...

Northwest Indiana
Level Contributor
122 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Key West

First of all enjoy your Honeymoon... Walk the town - catch the sunset - do an excursion and - hit the bight for Happy Hour again and again and again!! Do some research and you will know exactly where to go!

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Key West

Congrats!! First thing I would do being a KW newbie , is to do one of the trolley tours, it will give you a layout out the island, inform you on "must do's", gives you a great history lesson and some awesome photo opts. Check out Duval from one end to the other, then wander the side streets(you won't believe how tranquil it is compared to Duval). Go to the Bight and do a progressive dinner , just pop in and out of the restaraunt/bars there (Alonzo's has the best Happy Hour 1/2 price drinks and apps , Conch Republic Seafood Company bogo beer and well drinks , Half Shell Raw Bar , and Turtle Kraals. Do a jetski tour, sunset cruise, snorkel , fishing trip any will do but do get out on the water at least once. Fort Zacharty and Smather's are decent beaches. Enjoy!!

SoDak
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Key West

Thanks for the suggestions! And yes, I'm thinking getting out on the water will happen.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Key West

Congrats!! I will be going on my honeymoon In July but actually got engaged there last april. We did the fury package which was awesome !! A&B Lobster House is a really romantic place with great seafood although I didn't try the lobster but hear great things about it. Micheals also was very good!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Key West

One thing I'd recommend is that you go to the Green Parrot (one of my favorite bars down there) for some drinks during "sound check".....it's a good time...then wander down to the Bight. One note (I learned the hard way & if it's changed I know the locals will chime in) no alcohol is surved in KW until Noon on Sundays.....trust me when I say I really, really learned this the hard way when in need of "hair of the dog". Stock Island on the otherhand sells booze earlier (didn't know that til after the fact). Not sayin' I'm a booze hound or anything.....Just wanted to let you know. Congrats & have FUN!!!!!!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,573 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Key West

Shoulda hit the Conch Flyer at the airport for <noon drinks on Sunday.

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in Key West

OMG - That was the worst morning to learn a hard lesson!!!!! Now we always make sure we stay somewhere with at lease a kitchenette....stock your own & suffer no more!!!!!! :)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,573 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time in Key West

The toughest part is not being able to have a Bloody Mary with an 11:00 Sunday brunch.

Pjk

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time in Key West

First off - Congratulations. Welcome to the Sucker Club. We are celebrating our 15th in KW next week.

Second off, I believe this law has been repealed as of last summer, and you can booze it up on Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

tripadvisor.com/…34359646

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time in Key West

This proves that there is true justice in the world :) The Sunday alcohol law was like the tattoo law they used to have....that too went bye bye - my sister-in-law got more ink right on Duval last May when were down..... :) Gotta Love KW!!!!!