We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late December Weather in Key West

Washington, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Late December Weather in Key West

I know with the current crazy weather we're experiencing all over, this may seems like a ridiculous question but I'm wondering if the temps in December are DEPENDABLY warm enough to be enjoyed by vacationers used to Mexico or the Caribbean for a winter break from the cold. There are young kids and older folks and we don't to shiver in windbreakers until 11 a.m. and after 6 p.m. like we did in Puerto Vallarta this January!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

It CAN be very cool. It can also be very warm. This past year was great and the last wasn't too cool but a little chilly but the year before was very chilly. Whatever it is - it won't be a cold as Chicago.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

My family and I were in KW 2 Christmas's ago, 1st 2-3 days 78-80 deg, last 2 days 65-70, evening in low sixties. You'll love it in KW just book it.

Washington, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

Well, in these crazy weather times you can't be so sure! My sister was there (KW) last week and it was mid-70's, and mid-80's here!

Thanks for you reply and info!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,380 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

I would not count on warm weather like Mexico or The Caribbean. You can not predict the weather, but cold fronts are not unusual and we do get nights in the low 50s and days in the low 60s with wind several time a year. (Although this year we only had one front I can recall and it did not last long).

If you want really warm weather, go further south.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

We went one year for New Years eve. That will be the last time, even had to turn the heat on in the condo. Honestly it costs too much to not be able to bank on it being warm.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

search for "average Key West temperatures". It will give you an idea of the average highs and lows and you'll be able to compare it other months. Normally it's the dry season, and remember that the first 3 weeks of December are often much less crowded than the last week, which is one of the busiest weeks of the year.

No way to predict you won't freeze or burn in December, with the crazy weather.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

We have been in Key West 5 or 6 times for Christmas and New Years in the past 30 years. We have been very lucky with the weather mostly. I remember one time we cut our trip 3 days short because a cold front came through and the highs were in the low 60s.

Because of the unpredictable weather at that time of the year we have gone to Bonaire for the last 10 or so years at Christmas time.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
8. Re: Late December Weather in Key West

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:16