We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oh it's just a little mouse

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,913 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Oh it's just a little mouse

Don't worry if you think you see a mouse. It's just probably one of these in the Keys.

…yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/giant-nine-pound-g…

Key West Catamaran Sailing and Water...
71 reviews
from US$145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
56 reviews
from US$63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip...
44 reviews
from US$178.99*
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Right now and in the past - only Grassy Key has been blessed with these guys. 58 miles from Key West.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Maybe I can hire out my Inimitable Senor Einstein Kitty. Hovering at 18 pounds, he is from a breed back in the 15th century that was bred to kill rodents in the European monasteries. Even with no teeth and his nails clipped short, he is still a force of nature to be reckoned with. A trained assassin, he is.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,913 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Yea but watch out if new menu items start showing up all of a sudden.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Wait - shouldn't the Burmese pythons take care of this?

Like Blue said above - not to worry.

new jersey
Level Contributor
146 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

mouse shmouse.... that burmese python story has scared the bejeezus out of me!!!! although some enterprising person would just pick it up and sell pictures of it with you to the cruise ship crowds, so perhaps they will help keep the local economy chugging along

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Well, I would'nt worry much about these animals, but I must say I have witnessed one in Key West in January 2011, right off Duval.

They are profficient tree climbers as we stayed on a second story unit with private deck. At dusk the fellow would show up on the roof eve of our unit. The first time I saw him, he jumped to an adjacent tree and quickly moved to the ground. I did'nt tell the wife (still haven't), but I made sure I got to the deck first at this time of day thereafter. I chased him off a couple other nights. (He ate half a bar of soap from the outdoor shower).

They are not as nasty (looking) as native rats and reminded me of a 'possum (I'm from the south USA). It didn't bother me but the wife would have packed the bags should she had known.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Just because it says "keys" it doesn't automatically mean Key West!!!!! Remember, it's "Key West and the Florida Keys"! Key West is a very small part of the Keys.

A different yet same article.

keysnet.com/2012/03/24/433069/more-huge-gamb…

Some Keys have Key Deer, others don't. Some have Squirrels, others don't. Same with the rats and snakes. I live right where the problem with the Gambians are, I mean, in the block they are talking about as I live on Morton - and I've never seen one. (not saying they are wrong, just that they aren't that noticeable. ) I've also never seen the Tegu that is supposed to be in the same area. And, FWIW, I haven't heard of the Pythons being a problem away from Key Largo and the Everglades as well.

BigMac - I'm fairly certain what you saw was prob a Palm Rat. They can be large and they look like Mickey. Live in our trees and roofs here. Esp the different Palms.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Taste like Chicken....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

Guy walks into a bar with a rat on his shoulder...

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oh it's just a little mouse

We don't have rats up here only in the Key's right.

PJ