We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

"So it was time. I love Cuban cuisine and despite the negative things many say about El Meson de Pepe, we had to try for ourselves."

For a review with pictures, click the link:

prissyinparadise.com/2012/…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

We had a similar experience on our visit. Nice service, good drinks, but very so-so food. It's too bad because it's a lovely place in a good location.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

I have to agree. There are much better places for Cuban food. I love the outdoor courtyard and the music, but it doesn't make up for the food.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

I think some of those negatives arose out of its location, and being so close to the tourist center of Key West.

I've seen similar menus a mile long at Italian restaurants when I was on Columbus Street in San Francisco. They just want to have what the tourists want, I guess, quality be darned.

I will say that I did have one of the best cold gazpachos ever there one hot day. And I love the stroll through the building.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

Good job on the review. Looks like noting has changed, I will say we have had fun with drink in hand people watching when the music was playing.

PJ

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

Hey donna thanks for the review. We go to El Meson de Pepe every trip down , and I have to admitt the food is always luke warm and just OK , none the less I will continue to go cuz I like the vibe and the mojitos even more!

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

I agree with your review Donna. They also add the gratuity to drinks at the bar. I have seen many people not look at the bill and leave an additional tip. The bartenders don't go out of there way to point it out either.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
919 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

I suppose this shows the phrase "you get the food you deserve" is so correct. Reading your review (a local not a visiter) and the other posters comments about the food I felt quite sad. If you allow a restaurant to dump bad service and Luke warm food on you how can standards improve.

Frankly The owner of El Meson de Pepe must be laughing at his customers for returning again and again.

This seems a place to avoid.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

Thank you for the review. I enjoy reading all your reviews because it helps me make decisions about where to eat when we come in June. Thanks!

Cedar Rapids, IA
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

We love the location for early afternoon, before the "sunsetters" appear. Just sitting at the outside bar and enjoying the view. But we agree that the food is sub-par.

So what we do is enjoy our drinks until the crowds arrive, then slip next door to Red Fish, Blue Fish for dinner.

And yes, be mindful of the 18% tip, added "for your convenience". Always love that helpful timesaver.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 20:37
North Carolina
Level Contributor
25 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Review w/Pictures: El Meson de Pepe

We had a similar experience on April 12th. Our food was lukewarm and so-so quality. I grew up in Tampa and love good cuban food. This was not good food. I had the ropa vieja and it was overly salted and the rice was dry. I agree with Bonez the rameken presentation is unappealing. They definitely have a great location..too bad the food doesn't live up to it.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida