We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kind of bike to rent?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
kind of bike to rent?

Staying at Doubletree and planning to rent bikes -- wondering about "cruisers" vs "hybrid". I know what a hybrid is ... assuming a cruiser is a bit of a different style and has no gears? (Have seen them, just never been on one...)

Cruiser is $55/Hybrid is $85. Have owned a hybrid but can't see why I'd necessarily need one in key west if i am riding only on the road or bike path and there isn't any elevation to speak of.

Thoughts?

Thanks! Lots of questions today, as we are leaving on Friday :)

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kind of bike to rent?

Unless you plan to do some serious riding, a cruiser will be fine. Multi gears are really unnecessary around KW. Used a road bike to get out to Big Pine, but I doubt that is your intention.

An early morning ride through KW before the "tourists" are out is great, if you can make it up. Be sure to obtain locks for the bikes, as they have a tendency to be readily "borrowed" if left unattended.

Enjoy your trip.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kind of bike to rent?

Thanks!

Ha, no -- we like to exercise but we will NOT be biking to Big Pine Key! Do think we'll rent a car to get there one of our days, though!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kind of bike to rent?

Generally speaking, a cruiser (you are correct: no gears, no hand brakes) is fine for Key West; however, since you're staying at the Doubletree and will likely be using your bikes as your primary mode of transportation to and from Roosevelt Blvd. and the restaurants, bars, attractions, etc. in Old Town, you may wish to consider choosing the hybrids. Cruisers will be a somewhat heavier, particularly by the end of your commute. Also, crusiers tend to be rented more frequently and therefore are often worse for wear and tear. And, consider what you're accustomed to riding..I always find there to be a learning curve when riding a beach cruiser (trying to use hand brakes that aren't there, lol). Either way, bikes are surely the way to go, and that early morning ride mentioned above is a winner.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,980 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kind of bike to rent?

It's nice to ride to Higgs beach in the morning. You can ride out onto the White Street pier and then explore the botanical garden at the West Martello tower. This is one of my favorite places in Key West...

http://www.keywestgardenclub.com/

Then ride along Atlantic Blvd to Bertha. A right and a left brings you to Smathers beach, but the best part is where the beach ends and the sea-wall begins. Ride out to approx the airport then turn around and come back.

Pjk

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: kind of bike to rent?

All you need is a cruiser. I have ridden them out to Stock Island and back and it is not a problem at all.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kind of bike to rent?

I like the cruiser for Key West the fat tires smooth out the ride. If you are in a need for speed then I would go with the Hybrid.

PJ

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,683 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kind of bike to rent?

Yes, a cruiser will be fine - however - I find the gears come in handy when it's super windy like it has been lately. Those head winds are killer! That's why we use gears in this flat terrain. :)

8. Re: kind of bike to rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 20:18