We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Some thoughts midway through our trip...

First of all, why the heck did it take us so long to try Azur? We've checked out the menu many times, but never got around to eating there. That was a serious oversight! I wrote a review which should post today. We shared 4 small plates, each quite delicious: beef carpaccio (daily special), steamed clams with chorizo (the broth was superb), home-made gnocchi with arugula, and (unbarbecue-sauced) grilled baby back ribs.

And another first time for us was breakfast at the SMOTB Cafe. It always seems so crowded around there so we never tried it. And yes, there was a wait for a table, but they offered to sit us at the bar. That worked! Mr jtwiz had the KW benedict with shrimp, asparagus and hollandaise, I had the BCT (bacon, cheese, tomato) omelet. We loved that we got fresh fruit with the meal. A keeper!

While a bit on the pricey side, we also loved Krawl off Duval on Southard St. Overwhelming selection of beers! And actually, some quite decent wines by the glass as well. It was a good combination of locals and tourists in there, nice way to while away an hour :-)

And after trying so many different happy hours down here, I have to say I still think the Tower Bar is our favorite! All drinks half off, and we like their HH food menu. Yes, we love Alonzo's and others, but Tower Bar wins by a nose for us :-)

What a great week we are having....

Key Lime Bike Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours
Lost Reef Adventures
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Key West Water Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Waterskiing & Jetskiing
Up The Keys
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Thanks for sharing , and enjoy the rest of your vacay. Keep us posted.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Where is the entrance to the Tower Bar? Thanks!

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

jtwiz- thanks for sharing. The Tower Bar? Is that the bar above Turtle Kraals? I tried to google it, and thats what comes up.

Enjoy your trip!

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Yes the Tower Bar is upstairs at Turtle Krawls, we also like their HH over Alonzo's. Much easier to get a seat and the views are wonderful.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

thanks, it's on my list!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,169 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

The Tower Bar (or the bar on top of the Rum Barrel) is a great place to go especially at night and if there's a lightening storm out over the ocean. If you are at ground level and see some flashes, try to get to one of these places, buy a drink, and watch the light-show.

Pjk

NC
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Thanks for the mid-trip report, glad you are having a blast! Is it possible to get a good sunset view from the Tower Bar?

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Glad you are having a good trip. Also glad you try your own thing and if you like it you stick with it.

PJ

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Tower Bar really is a fine HH. When I first moved here, we used to start Friday night there, maybe hit White Tarpon, then end our night at Grand Vin. Then Orchid Bar opened and we just stayed on Upper Duval and added Vinos to the mix. We need to show Tower Bar some love.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some thoughts midway through our trip...

Keep us posted! Sounds like your having fun!

Get answers to your questions about Key West