We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Floridays Snorkeling Trip - AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

After many great reviews and recommendations, and talking to the owner by phone, I booked my 3-hr morning snorkeling trip with the Floridays. I wanted the personal service with a smaller crowd and they seemed great. When I arrived on the island on Tuesday, I called as instructed to confirm my Wed trip. It had rained with strong winds for a week and so the water visibility was not good. Captain Alexis had checked and said call the next morning. I did and same thing, let’s try again Thursday. That was fine with me as I wanted a good experience and relied on them to know what was best. Thursday I rode my bike down to the boat to see it and check in person. A man at the boat said they were not going out that morning and probably not in the afternoon, but to call. You could see at the marina things were murky and the waves were a bit strong. So, Friday morning it was. There were 11 of us and the boat was nice. The water looked clearer, although the boat was rocking slightly due to the winds. Captain Yaya and crew member Charla (or Charlotte?) were friendly enough at first. They told us about the drinks on board and the captain acknowledged the past days of bad weather. She said it might be a little choppy going out. That would turn out to be a bad sign. That video on there website was the exact opposite of what I experienced.

We took off to the open water and yes it was a little bumpy bud not bad until about ½ mile out when the waves started progressively getting stronger. Those in the front were it with waves over the bow several times. It was almost impossible to stand up and walk to the front to here the instructions about the snorkeling gear. I received no help in getting up there or back despite the fact that I almost fell twice and slammed against the guide ropes. When I tried to return to my seat, I literally fell hard into it. Not one notice from the capt or crew. At one point the capt needed to get to something and threw my fins on the floor in front of me, never saying a word to me.

At one point in the distance we could see large white caps crashing over something, I wasn’t sure what it was until a while later when I realized this was the reef! At this point the waves were several feet high. I thought, surely they wouldn’t put us in the water here! At first I thought they were moving away from the area to find a calmer inlet, but no! They plopped the boat right near the crashing waves and cut the engine. Now I had taken Dramamine, but when the engine cut and the boat started rocking, I was not feeling that great right away. We put on our gear and were told to jump over the side of the boat. The waves looked daunting, but the boat was moving so much I thought that it might be better in the water, so I did as told. I received no help or instruction from the crew, but another passenger told me to be sure to hold onto my mask as I jumped.

Right away, I knew this was not a good thing. The waves almost pushed me into the boat and I struggled to swim away from the boat. I managed to see part of the reef and a few fish, but nothing spectacular. I spent most of the time getting water out of the snorkel from the waves overtaking me. It became too much and I turned back towards the boat after a few minutes. Another battle to make it to the lifesaver attached to the boat by a rope. Another woman was already there. She said that she had snorkeled over a hundred times all over and this was the worst she had ever seen. She and I hung on to the lifesaver and tried to keep our heads above water.

I thought about getting back on the boat, but it was being tossed around so much that at one point I really thought it was going to capsize. And I knew that it was probably less chance of seasickness if I stayed in the water and went ‘with the flow’. I did call out to say I thought these were unsafe conditions and we shouldn’t be here. The crew member (Charla?) actually replied with “talk to the captain. other boats are out here and other people are managing to snorkel”. Really? That’s the compassion and personal service? I replied that just because others were out here it didn’t mean it was safe. The captain did nothing. We were forced to bob around out there for the full hour.

As others who managed to get out further returned (I hadn’t been able to see anyone else in the water the whole time because of the waves), they complained about how difficult it was. Even the big guys had trouble. One woman said she felt like she had just been beaten up.

So, after a real struggle to get back on the boat (with it swaying back and forth and me bobbing around in the swells), I said I knew I was going to be sick. So, I was told to go the side of the boat and do it there. And I did. I haven’t been that violently ill in years. After several minutes, I realized we were on our way back. They asked if I wanted something to drink and I said just water to rinse my mouth. So there I sat afraid to move the entire rest of the way. The capt and crew did not come over to me once or ask how I was doing. I was left in silence.

Actually, the whole boat was pretty silent as I noticed several others appeared not well. No one had any drinks other than water and no one really moved the entire time. One woman told the captain she didn’t think this was appropriate to be out here and the capt said that you never know what you will get until you get out there and she said it would be choppy.

We made it back. Everyone scrambled off as fast as possible. Again, they did not ask if I was feeling better or really say anything to me.

Now, on a normal Key West day, perhaps these people were fine and it would be a good trip. But the recklessness and lack of regard for safety or even a good snorkeling experience, was unforgivable. Given the recklessness and lack of compassion I experienced from this crew, I will never ever sail with them again.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
652 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Yikes! I felt seasick just reading your post. So sorry! Sounds like they were over eager to get out on the water after days without any business but that's no excuse for the treatment you received.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Ugh OneHappy, I am so sorry! I've been seasick before and it is not fun. People who work at sea for a living can obviously take "choppy" conditions better than those of us who do not. I know Bonez's definition of "big waves" and mine differ. Imo, Floridays shouldn't have chanced it and the way they treated you was terrible.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

What an awful and scarey experience Onehappyvisitor........I suggest you do a copy and paste of your entire post and place it as a review of Floridays........more people will see it there.....this will be buried in the forums in a matter of minutes......

thank you for sharing your experience, it has convinced me to do all my snorkeling on my own from shore, where I can make my own choices of when to leave the water and when the waves are too high for my comfort.......

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Was this recent?

this past week it had been very windy, according to reports here.

I checked the weather website (weather.com) and saw HUGE swells. It was a surfer's dream, not a sailor's.

This is the 2nd report I've seen this week about a boat going out when it should not. I'm going to start to have to rely on independent reports of what the conditions are like out at the reef.

It's clear that they should have stayed in the shallow waters. I've been out on Danger boats in steady winds and there's little bumpiness in the shallows and around the mangroves.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Orion-this was Friday morning!

I am going to complain to the owner. It really seemed like the captain just was bound and determined to go out and never considered this wasn't a good idea. I had been talking to the owner and Captain Alexis all week and they seemed like they were more conscientous, but the crew I got didn't seem to care. I know Alexis had been going out to actually check conditions at the reef beforehand. This one clearly had not, since she said as much afterwards, but didn't apologize. Both crew members seemed to think this was acceptable. And yes, I did see at least one Sebago boat out there too.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Wow -- that is one bad snorkeling trip. : (

I'm surprised you didn't receive better service and think that your feedback will be welcomed by the owners.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Yes, it was too bad. I had talked to the owner by phone prior to booking and while sorting out conditions earlier in the week and she seems really nice and I don't think she wants customers to have this kind of experience. I really blame it on the captain. She really seemed like she was going out and we were snorkeling no matter what. She was not very personable and neither was the crewmate. They acted like this was a routine trip out and never said a word about the obvious bad conditions. I think they should have offered that since the waves were so bad that if we didn't feel safe snorkeling they could reschedule or refund us instead. But all we got was that they recommended using the noodles today and then the bad attitude when we expressed concern about our safety. At least this was a small sliver of my trip and I tried to put it behind me-but I did already email them about it and am waiting to hear back.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,209 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

FWIW I pointed this to a former captain of the Floridays, a friend.

" Ugh. No light to shed concerning the service. Unacceptable in my book. I have moved back Into private yacht management, last summer. I sent the owners a message asking how they are "fixing" it. Keep you posted.

Often times, every boat and crew find themselves in less than ideal Wx conditions. It's the capt/crew's responsibility to still make it a successful trip. Unfortunately, it's difficult to teach compassion to some people. "

I'll be out with them in May and will touch base with Yahyda. (YaYa)

Pjk

Edited: 06 May 2012, 22:36
St. Louis
Level Contributor
923 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

I'll I can say about this post is that I'm sorry you had this experience. Had you ever snorkled before? We're you not familiar with mask and snorkel use? This stuff should have been covered by the crew as a pre-dive type briefing but I would never have done it if I had not snorkled before. Even for something as simple as snorkel, you have to understand and be familar wity your equipment.

One other note that you are basically in the gulf stream, so you will have current and wind (that's why this is one of thre reasons the Spanish Galleons liked the route). My last trip in November, the seas were too bad and I had to abort the dive. No when to say no.......

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Floridays Snorkeling Trip – AKA “Survivor- Key West”

Doesn't sound like "No" would have worked in this case, DriverChaz.......the way I read it the captain was in "full speed ahead" mode, and not about to abort the trip......maybe the paying guests should have mutinied......