We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

We are driving our own car from Captiva over to Key West. I've been reading about tolls that don't take cash, etc and want to be prepared before we head over. Do we need to purchase some sort of pass or device for our car in order to drive down to the Keys? Thanks in advance.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

This question will result in 50,000 replies. You will be given information including everything from the world is going to end to it's no big deal.

If you have truly read (and understood) these other threads then you'll know that you should go to Sunpass.com to get your mini transponder.

You can also call Sunpass.com to get any and all answers from them.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

Bg is correct imo that is best way to handle it. If its your car then you'll need toll leaving KW also. If you're heading home after KW you may be taking the Turnpike all the way up to I-75. You should be able to determine how much you'll need to load on the transponder or the sticker from the site bg gave you.

Oh and it will work on the toll bridge leaving Sanibel.

PS are you coming to MI this summer?

Key West
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

As BG has stated you will get a bunch of different answers on this but this is my advice. No need for a Sunpass. You can avoid the toll roads all together coming from Captiva to Key West and actually save a bit of time, (people will argue the time savings as well)

When you leave Captiva get on 75 South, exit at Collier Blvd. Exit 101. It’s the last exit before the toll

Go south on Collier Blvd. about 6.75 miles until you get to 41. AKA Tamiami Trail (10-15 Min)

Turn East on 41 drive about 90 miles to Krome Ave . The Miccosukee Indian Gaming will be on your left when you get to Krome Ave. (1.5 hours)

Turn Right (south) on Krome Ave (45 min.)

Krome Ave will join into US1 just south of Florida City turn right and head to Key West (2.5 hours)

I drive from Key West to Naples 4-5 times a year; it used to be 10-15 times a year. I have taken 75 over to the turnpike and all other options. They are all longer and cost money in tolls. From exit 101 it takes me between 4.5 and 5 hours with one stop for the restroom and fuel. I have done it much faster but I do not recommend that. If you go this way pay close attention, when you are passing through the Miccosukee Indian Reservation FOLLOW THE SPEED LIMIT!!!!! It is a speed trap. A reasonable person would think with all the money the Indians make off of gambling they would not need to ticket as heavy as they do. Also there is some construction at the east end of 41. The last few times I have been up it has not delayed me at all.

Bonez

edit to make it easier to read

Edited: 17 May 2012, 20:02
Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

Ok. So that we don't get 50,000 unwanted replies I'll just post that I have it all figured out. Went to Sunpass.com and will call them directly.

Indy
Level Contributor
425 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

Hey Rono! Thanks for the response! It looks like I can register my plate vs. buying a transponder but I will still call Sunpass to figure it out. Yes!!! We are coming to Michigan this summer! We have a weekend trip booked in June and July! I can't wait! Thanks again!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

There's actually three ways, do nothing (they take a picture of your plate as you pass) and they'll send you a bill for full toll plus a service charge. Buy the mini transponder that you have the ability to transfer to another vehicle in the future, or what I did and that was just buy the sticker one. When you order it comes with $5 or $10 on it (what ever they charge you you get back) plus you add some. You don't get the service charge and the toll amount is discounted. The sticker can't be moved to another car so just calculate what you need. I think the bridge when you enter Sanibel is $2 or $3 dollars.

PS we'll leave the lights on for you here in MI and the roads are free.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 21:02
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,005 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

You can also put whatever amount on that you want- and get a refund for what you don't use. The mini cannot be switched from car to car, they call the sticker the "mini."

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

You should pay attention to Bonez answer. I have done this drive several times as well and 41 is the better Route IMO. It has no tolls, and i think it is also more scenic. There are some interesting stops in The Everglades or at Clyde Butchers gallery.

http://www.clydebutcher.com/

Geneva, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

We go the Bonez way and love it. Lots of places to stop if you desire. During stone crab season we stop in Everglades city for claws, MMMMMMMM.

We go that way even though we have a mini transponder that we bought at Publix but then again we almost always try to stay off the interstates if practical.

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Captiva to Key West - Toll Road Question

Listen to Bonez and SDT!!! Going via 41(Tamiami Trail) there is no need for toll roads, it's more scenic and more relaxing. We've driven Fort Myers(Captiva) and Marco Island to Key West many times and wouldn't go any other way.