We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on a Sunday night?

Lakes Region, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
What to do on a Sunday night?

Hi All!

First of all, I'd like to send out a HUGE thank you to everyone who answers the posts on this forum. My husband and I will be visiting Key West for the first time the last week of April, and I've gotten so much great info from you guys on here on where to go, what to do.....

I figured I'd throw out this question and see what you had to say. We are flying into Miami (from New Hampshire) and then driving down to Key West on a Sunday. Any suggestions on what to do our first night there? I don't think we'll get down there much before 7pm...and we are staying within walking distance of Duval.

I guess I should ask another question while I'm here ;) I'm planning on arranging a sunset cruise (looking at the Fury)...around what time is sunset exactly so I can pick the right time to be out in the boat?!

Thanks so much for the info!

Vicky

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on a Sunday night?

bv, I think sun set will be around 8:15pm at the end of April.

You will only have about 1.5 hours of light when you get to Key West. I would head down the Mallory Sq. for the sun set. After the sun set walk up to the Bite side (Harbor). At that piont you will have so many place to pick from to go to. Pick some place that looks and sounded like fun and go for it.

In the morning take a walk to get a good feel for your location relative to Duval and the Harbor.

As far as the Sun set cruise (the Fury). Who ever you choose for the cruise will tell you when to show up for the Sun set cruise.

PJ

Vermont
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on a Sunday night?

Hey BV2472....

Lakes Region huh....we're headed down the 22nd from Ascutney :-) Our first trip ever as well to Key West!

Good luck on the sunset cruise....we're thinking we may do one during the week....most likely Tues, we're headed to the Dry Tortugas on Monday and don't want to rush around when we return from the day!

Have fun!

Lakes Region, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on a Sunday night?

From Ascutney? Wow, small world! My grandparents had a home there a long time ago when my mother and her siblings were growing up, and they are now buried in the Ascutney Cemetary.

I hope you have a wonderful time. Who knows, maybe we'll run into eachother!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,987 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on a Sunday night?

I had to chuckle a little bit because of your last question. *You* take care of choosing the boat, and the Fury is a good choice, and *they* take care of the sunset. At this time of year you shouldn't have to worry about pre-booking. You can either walk to the boat or call from where ever you are staying. The two Furys, the Atlantic and Pacific, leave from the the other side of the Mallory Docks, where the cruise ships come in. Not from the Bight. There is a check-in place in front of the Hilton. (If you book on the street, say at the corner of Duval and Front, you can save a few $'s).

For the first night in Key West, treat yourself to a nice outdoor dinner; Blue Heaven, Pepes, El Meson de Pepe, or even sitting facing the harbor at Turtle Kraals or the Conch Republic.

Pjk

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on a Sunday night?

sunday night the lazy gecko has happy hour until midnight. good frozen drinks and nice little bar to stop into.

I did a fury sunset crusie with food, music, and margaritas. I loved it. It was fun enough without being utter craziness. The crew was really cute and really really nice. They also gave some good suggestions for the trip.

Maine
Level Contributor
830 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on a Sunday night?

I'm with PJ507 - after dropping your bags off, head to Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. Then wander over to Conch Republic Seafood for light supper. This is the way I first saw Key West, and it sets you up for the rest of your vacation. Coming from Maine, we also don't get in until early evening, and hitting the square with my third margarita in hand (which I've picked up while walking along) allows all that conservative New England upbringing to just float off me!

We're there thru the 26th. There's a couple of April Roll Calls in this forum if you scroll back through the days. Maybe we'll catch up! :-)