We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chickens in KW

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Castle, PA
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Chickens in KW

Why are there chickens all over KW? I'm hoping they're friendly and will leave me alone. Many years ago I had a rooster that I had to chase with a broom every morning,, because it didn't like me coming out of my house!!! Needless to say, I'm not real fond of the critters, but I'll stay out of their space if they'll stay out of mine!! Hopefully the KW chickens will be able to change my opinion.

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chickens in KW

There are a lot of chickens on the island, but I've never been bothered by any of them. As a matter of fact, I sometimes have a hard time taking pictures of them because they simply just walk away! I think they must just be used to all the people.

There are a lot of them at Blue Heaven. They will mostly be walking around your feet while you are eating. I've never seen them be aggressive.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chickens in KW

Just dont make eye contact with them, they get defensive.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chickens in KW

Kidding! Basically if you dont bother them they wont bother you.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
7 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chickens in KW

If they make you uncomfortable, you might want to check out reviews here of restaurants with outdoor seating. The chickens and roosters I've seen aren't aggressive, but at some of the restaurants they've been known to fly up onto the tables. I remember reading that in one of the reviews.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chickens in KW

"Just dont make eye contact with them, they get defensive."

Bahahahahaha! Seriously though, there is always a mama and her baby chicks near my parking spot at work. While I'm not a chicken fan per se, I always smile when I see the "family". They won't hurt you.

Maywood, New Jersey
Level Contributor
777 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chickens in KW

I hadn't told my hubby about the chickens or all the cats- he is allergic- but i had to show him your post. Our sister in law, from lancaster, once told us astory similar to yours and had us cracking up! So if i see someone chasing a chicken down the street in kw i will be able to identify you...lol. not really fond of them either,and glad they.are not aggressive! See you soon- 23 days

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chickens in KW

BTW, big fan of your blog Bella.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chickens in KW

Every year, hundreds of tourists are killed by chickens. This is one of the best kept secrets in Key West. Be careful out there!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chickens in KW

What SDT said.

or

If chickens are your biggest worry, then you've got life licked.

Too close to call.

New Castle, PA
Level Contributor
151 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chickens in KW

OK, you people are all tooooo funny!! I WILL NOT become a statistic this year and will leave my broom at home--even though it would be a cheaper way to get there than plane fare!!!LOL