We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

I got shock to see key west is a death city after 12 am .

All restaurants closed at 9pm , even some good closed at 7pm

First time I see this in a Touristic City .

Im use to eat late at 9.30-10pm and here I had to hurry cause even TGI Friday was closed at 9pm .

Im from Miami where you can eat your dinner at midnight if you want so this was shocking ...

Could anyone explain why Key west go bed so early?

Edited: 16 July 2012, 16:48
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,534 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

The Banana Cafe serves dinner till 10:00 p.m. as does Alonzo's. These are part of the rule and not exceptions.

Pjk

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

I'm curious what other cities you've been to the size of Key West with a population of around 25,000. that most restaurants are open till midnight?

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

Odd, the website for TGIFriday's says they're open until 11PM in Key West. And a silly question - why would you travel to Key West to eat at a chain restaurant when there are SO many other good places to eat?

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

I was pretty surprised to see St. Augustine restaurants closing at 9:00 on a Saturday night, but because of Key West's nightlife it would be even more surprising to see restaurants closing at that hour.

If you are from a city like New York where you can go to a show and have dinner afterwards, you really have to get used to restaurants closing early.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

915 Serves dinner until 11:00.

Why would you want to have dinner later than that ?

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

Most restaurants serve till 10 or later. I'm not sure where you were looking. Finnengans and point 5 serve even later. Not sure about Fridays, we don't eat there, but if you need a chain outback serves until 10:30 during the week and 11 on weekends.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

"Why would you want to have dinner later than that ?"

you're kidding right?

loads of people like to eat late at night - sometimes after clubbing, and sometimes after the pre-clubbing nap, before going out.

and many ppl are just night owls.... i'm one of them.... even at home my typical dinner time is around 9 pm, and often later if i'm on vacation. being able to have a meal or snack at midnight is de reigeur for me, and i'm sure for many other people too.

i'm actually surprised to hear that for a place known to be such a party spot, that there aren't lots of places open to eat in the late-night hours -

Edited: 16 July 2012, 19:12
Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,346 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

The restaurants would stay open later if business warranted. But, they have learned that after "x" time it doesn't work for their particular establishment. There are places to go during/after clubbing, not really many sit downs but there are places. TGIF is off the beaten path for the partiers too. Denny's is right off the party spot and open 24hrs - pizza to be had too further down the street, bar food at another - never had a problem myself.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

My husband won't like this! We just got back from a road trip to DC/NY and we ate a lot of nights after 11pm. Hopefully some bars will be serving late!! We're planning a trip next Spring.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: key west sleeping early , restaurants closed early ... why?

It can be difficult finding a nice restaurant in Old Town that is still serving after 9pm on a slow weekday. Could the OP have been in New Town?

A lot of times I get in from a snorkel trip after sunset (8PM) and by the time I'm showered and ready to go out for a big meal it's 9PM!

I used to wander down Duval looking in at all the places that seemed to have good menus. This is not the way to do it, and I wonder it that's what the OP did.

The trick is to have a list of times that these good places close. Here's The Menu, which helps if you have internet access:

http://www.keywestmenu.com/menus.htm

They also have a magazine, but not all hotels have them.

I bet there might be some kind of app that can be used to find out what is open when you're hungry (for good food) after 9PM