We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami to Key West via car!

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Miami to Key West via car!

I am taking a trip to Key West next month. I have seen several different posts about how long it takes to drive to Key West. Can you please let me know how long it will take?

Also, what are some recommended stops along the way? I hear it is a gorgeous drive through the keys.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

3 to 4 hours depending on how fast u drive and how many stops u make. It is a very scenic drive.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

8 to 12 hours depending on how involved in the scenery and side trips you become. LOL

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

Try to stiop at NO NAME PUB in No Name Key towards the end of your drive. It is DIFFICULT to find but that is part of the fun. You can easily spend an hour in there. Drive slowly due to the Key Deer in the area.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

Three hours Give or take without stopping. Add time for stops for lunch, shopping, a park, attraction etc.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

3-3 1/2 hours straight thru...about 6 with stops. Take Card Sound Rd in just before start of Keys & stop at Alabama Jacks, Island Grill on Islamorada, Hurricane Memorial, Robbie's, No Name Pub, Porky's, Bahia Honda, Perky's Bat Tower...I could go on & on...but you do want to make it to Key West!!!

Cudjoe Key, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

yes - 3 hours would be a record pace (and a mistake) it's very scenic from the stretch on in. there's a ton of waterfront restaurants that are very nice (Island Fish Company in Islamorada, Sunset Key in Marathon, Kaia's in Sugerloaf, etc). But it's also good to grab some sandwiches and a stryofam cooler, and stop at any or the rest areas/water access areas and just soak in the view and action. Bahia Honda is fantastic/old Keys style, but you'll want to spend a few hrs there at least. There's some unique places to visit that would take a few hours too (John Pennekamp Park in Key Largo, Dolphin Research Center and The Turtle Hospital and Pigeon Key in the Marathon area).

bottom line, it's a great road trip - don't rush it or you'll miss out on the keys...

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

"yes-3 hours would be a record pace(and a mistake)"

lol, that's my average time but then I'm not sightseeing. I agree, it's a beautiful drive with lots to see and do along the way but 3 hrs, no stops is no record. I won't share the record though, I could be in big trouble.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

I agree, with no stops you can make it in three hours. When we're retired or hit the lottery, maybe then we'll take our time getting to Key West. Until then, our vacation days are too few for the amount of time I'd like to spend in Key West. We're not on island time until the car is parked in old town. ;) That doesn't mean we speed on the way down, but after so many trips we just focus on getting there.

Now, after saying all that, the drive is beautiful and should be done leisurely at least once! Some people always do it that way -- I think they must have a lot more vacation time than I do. lol

Lockport, IL
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

I feel the same as cruisemom. Other than a stop at Sparky's or Alabama Jacks for a quick lunch, we haven't made too many stops along the way. We are just too excited to get back "home"! On the way back up, we are just too crabby to make any stops! :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Miami to Key West via car!

it usually takes me 3 hours just to find my way out of the airport and onto the Toll-road in the rental car!

Could someone put up some KEY WEST THIS WAY arrows?

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now