We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd home:trip report

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
2nd home:trip report

Flight landed around noonish, leaving the plane the HEAT hit us immediately...my pretty lady & I we knew we were HOME. It has been 5 years since our 1st visit, which was in August also. We took a break for almost 4 years (we now have a beautiful little 4 yr old girl) but have been back home 3x in past 16 months, 2x in last 3 months...

Anyways, checked into Merlin Guesthouse, picked up our hog from A&M & immediately headed to B.O.s. Amazing food, as usual...but 108 'real feel' felt REALLY, REALLY HOT. Went down to walk the seaport to get some air, walked past Dantes...not our thing, but great for people watching...& laughing.

Been at S.Beach for past 4 hours relaxing & enjoying their happy hour....

Will be on our way to see Dominique & his cats at some point tonight.

More to come, just not sure when....

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Welcome home!! Looking forward to your trip report.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd home:trip report

"not sure when?".....soon please !!!

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Update from Fort Zach Beach

Day 1 cont...

Went down, over (whatever) to Mallory Sq. to see Dominque & his kitties. Loved him, as always. People knock him & his ways, but we LOVE HIM. Grabbed a couple, maybe more Green Things. Caught the sunset, the headed to Southernmost in the Beach for dinner. Shared the Mahi & Scallops, nothing to say..but perfect. Rode around for a little & called ita early, on the water at 730am.

Day 2...

Up at 6am to get to Yankee Freedom for trip to Dry Tortugas, Fort Jefferson. Could not have had better day to be on the water, mostly sunny, minimal wind. Words cannot describe the beauty of being 70 miles from land on an island. Just the colors of the water...if you have never done this, you absolutley have to. Just remember to bring a music, book, & TONS of suncreen!!! After a pit stop to clean up & get changed we headed back to Mallory Square, pretty lady bought a ring, we got some conch fritters & a key lime iced tea. Headed up Duval to get our Xmas ornament & dinner at Fogarty's, a tradition. We had a couple, maybe more, frozen drinks...the actually have a nice amount of alcohol in them, unlike some other places. Shared lettuce wraps & shrimp & scallops entree. Again, amazing food. Their portions are huge, only took 10-15 visits to smarten up & stop ordering too much food. Took a drink for our people watching walk, stopped in a couple more establishments before our last stop of the evening at SWB.

Day 3...

Got a later start than usual. We woke up at 9, there are no Key West alarm clocks near the Merlin Guest House...so if the roosters bother you, we don't mind them, this is the place to stay. Headed over to Blue Heaven, had to wait about 45 min for a table, not bad. Got to know another couple while waiting. My pretty lady had the avocado omelette & added lobster, I had the lobster omelette. Amazing as usual. Rode around for a little, then headed to Fort Zach beach where our lazy cans sit!!!

We fly out tomorrow at 2....just 22 hours left at "home"...maybe more fun & a couple, maybe more beverages this evening!!!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Sounds like fun! And what a great place to write a trip report!

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Day 3 cont:

after a couple more hours in the sun at Fort Zach beach we showered off & went to Kermits for some Key Lime pie, a slice & Key Lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate. Very very good. We went back to Merlin Guesthouse to shower & change. Next it was off to Kelly's for dinner. Absolutely amazing. Post dinner we walked around just enjoying our last night in heaven. Went shopping a little, had a few drinks, maybe more, & camped out at Flying Monkeys for people watching.

Decided to call it an early night, which ended up being a smart move. About 10 minutes after we got back to Merlin, the skies opened up & it poured for about 45 minutes. We sat on the covered patio & just watched the rain & said goodnight.

LAST DAY...BOOOOO!!!!

Woke up early to get the last ghost town tour that is Duval & Old Town before 8am. I love that noone but street cleaners, sidewalk cleaners, and a couple joggers/walkers are out at this time. Even though I have done this a couple times every trip, it never ceases to amaze me. Rode up to north end of Smathers, through all the neighborhoods, around the cemetary, down to Seaport, a little more shopping, & a couple new books at Island Books. Checked out & went back to Fogartys for our goodbye meal. Halfway through meal the skies OPENED UP!!! We moved under cover at the bar & finished our meal watching it pour & pour. It was kinda comical watching everyone run to try to get out the rain when all they had to do was dip inside of...well, any restaurant/shop.

After an hour straight of it pouring we noticed that the street was flooded about 6 inches. We have always had perfect weather for our trips, so this was new to us. We decided to jump on our scooter & head down to Front St!!! As the water was getting deeper & deeper, as more & more people were snapping pictures of us & pointing & laughing we hit Front St in about 2ft of water. The genius that I am decided, make a right, head towards Conch Republic. Not the smartest idea, as the water was quickly over the wheels!!! But a fun way to end our last trip until April. I sped up a little & skied my way to the first spot of high land. We got off to take some pictures of the 'flood', hopped back on & headed for Whitehead hoping that wouldn't be under water. It wasn't, so we went back to Merlin & they let us get cleaned up & changed. Hopped in a taxi & headed to the airport for our flight back to reality.

Great time, as always.

Love you Key West, you have stolen another piece of me & my pretty lady. See you in April when we bring the kids for a week.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd home:trip report

What were the dates of your trip?

Thanks

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Pjk - based on my reading of the report, I'm thinking it was Aug 3, 4, 5, 6, assuming the Day 1 report was started on the actual first day!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Beagle -- sounds like another great trip, whenever it was! : )

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd home:trip report

Keyweststeps is correct...Aug 3, 4, 5, & 6.

10. Re: 2nd home:trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Key West