We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas

hauppaug
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
christmas

anyone can tell me the truth about being in December around Christmas time in Florida key west its ok to go or its to cold?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas

It is difficult to answer, I;ll give you an example,/ 08 it was in the 80s in /09 & /10 it was pretty cool and last xmas the weather was great. It's all up to mother nature.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas

All of the above is correct but for the most part our cold snaps come Jan/Feb. Dec is too cold for me to swim but the sweaters and leather don't usually come out until Jan. Last year we had virtually no cold weather, the year before we had weeks.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas

All the above x3. We were down for NYE 2010 and at 5 pm on New Years Day a storm blew through and it barely touched 70 for the next 5 days, but previous years in Dec/Jan we were walking in shorts and in the water every day.

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas

We love December. Will be there for the first week, can't wait. Fewer people, moderate weather, what more can you ask for.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas

OK to go or too cold is a very subjective thing. I've been to St. Augustine in February and loved it. No we didn't lay on the beach but the weather was perfect for walking on the beach. Warmer and much less temperature fluctuations in Key West. If too cold means a jacket or sweater you may be taking a chance, if it means standing up to your knees in snow in you will be fine.

new jersey
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas

I think whats important here is what your frame of reference is.... we've been in KW every December for the past 19 years.....true that some years its positively balmy and tropical (80s) , and other years its been pleasantly warm, (mid 60s) but its ALWAYS warmer than New Jersey (home).... and there won't be any snow! Seems to me that "cold" to most Floridians is about 60-65 degrees - thats about the temperature I notice the locals in jackets and long pants... and if we look ridiculous wearing our shorts and flip flops when all the native Conchs are bundled up in woolies, well,then so be it... we're on vacation!

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
7. Re: christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 10:17