We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit

Horn Lake...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit

We will be visiting Key West for the first time in two weeks. I am still in the planning stages and I am always looking for tips and suggestions. We booked with Southernmost on the Beach and we are not planning on renting a car. We will be there for only a few days to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice romantic, but not too expensive, place for dinner? Also, can some tell me the customary amount to tip when you take a parasailing or snorkeling excursion?

Thanks

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit

The Southernmost Beach Cafe right at the Southernmost has views of the small beach and a part of the ocean and wouldn'r be a bad choice. You could also try the banana Cafe just a few blocks down on Duval Street.

http://bananacafekw.com/

Or for a little more upscale, the Rooftop Cafe all the way at the other end of Duval (but not too far to walk)

http://www.rooftopcafekeywest.com/

For any half-day or less water-related trip like a snorkel or parasail, I do $10.00. ($20.00 for a longer trip. More for a private charter)

Pjk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
500 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit

We stayed at Dewey House which is part of Southern Most Properties and more like a B&B but it was nice. They share the same pool but no hottub. The hottub is across the street ,which you can use as a guest. The beach is nice but a little grainy/rocky. Do not expect powdery sand in KW. There is a restaurant on the beach which is nice. Great view. No charge for guests for using the beach chairs. You will be on the quiet end of Duval st and it will be about 1.5 mile walk to Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. If you stop at bars and shops on the way it might take you about 2 -4 hrs :)

Take a trolley tour to get a feel for the island. Restaurant /Bars I suggest for a KW feel are: BLUE HEAVEN, PEPE"S .BO' FISH WAGON, SCHOONER WHARF BAR, HALF SHELL RAW BAR, GREEN PARROT,CAPT TONY'S . That's all I can think of for now. Others will chime in.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 16:22
Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit

Try Salute, it's a restaurant with very good food and it is right on the beach.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit

Southernmost Beach Cafe , and Salute are very cool. Roof Top Cafe is probally my fave spot in KW , great food, great drinks, great vibe, decent prices. Latitudes and Hot Tin roof are a lil pricey but IMO soooooo worth it.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit

For better food and fair prices I agree with banana cafe but rooftop is more romantic imo.

Horn Lake...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit

Thanks guys. I will definitely check into these.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit

Also check out Cafe Sole for your anniversary dinner ... tiny, candlelit, a little off the beaten path, and ooohhhhhhh that portobello soup! :)

Edited: 13 September 2012, 18:43
conn
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visit

I'll be there in 2 weeks also, 30th. Congratulations.

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visit

BlackFin Bistro on Duval close to Truman Ave is a great place for any meal. Great breakfast, great lunch, and a nice romantic dinner in the back under the trees. Camille's for breakfast is very good. Half Shell raw bar or boat house for a great happy hour. (half shell for oysters, if you like them). Pepe's is very good, sunday night BBQ is great. Lobo's is a great little place tucked off of Duval for great wraps for lunch. Enjoy your time down in a little place of heaven I like to call Key West. (been going for almost 20 yrs)

Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visit

p.s., I tip around 10%-15% of the price of the water activity. Sebago is the best IMO. Best food/beverage and staff around.