We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 8----9-4-12

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SW Indiana
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Day 8----9-4-12

On day 8 we got a start in the late morning and decided to head to upper Duval. We spend way too much time on lower Duval (I am a bad boy and I deserve to be punished so I spend a lot of my time there trying to accomplish that) but do enjoy upper Duval for the shops and the ice cream. We wandered down the street and stopped in whatever shops struck our fancy. We initially stopped by the ice cream shop and no one was in there. We waited a bit. We decided that jumping over the counter and helping ourselves or busting into the register was probably a bad idea so we headed out to return a little later. We meandered here and there and mostly enjoyed the shops which feature the local artists. We made a couple of purchases and then headed back to the ice cream shop. We found that it was then attended and got some creamy goodness. After this jaunt we headed back to the house for some down time and relaxation. I worked on the trip report from the day before and my wife did some laundry, swam, and then napped a bit.

When our young friends returned we faced a decision. Where to eat? We ultimately decided on Alonzo’s. I don’t think you can ever go wrong with that choice. I had the burger. I had a buddy that got one there last year and it looked fantastic. It was. The other folks had various seafood dishes which they all thoroughly enjoyed. My wife and her friend had Caribbean jerk shrimp. They were suitably impressed. Her boyfriend had the fried lobster sandwich. He thought it was very tasty. The also had the Alonzo’s combo, which is an oyster sampler, and the conch chowder. My wife is a true believer in the conch chowder. She absolutely loves it. It is the best she has had on the island. Our friends had never had oysters before and they raved about them.

Before we got to Alonzo’s we stopped at Pepper’s of Key West. There are no days when I will taste hot sauces. Too much table pepper can put me in the fetal position. That is not true of the others who were with me. They were troopers and found several hot sauces they liked and between us we purchased several bottles. A special shout out goes out to the young lady’s boyfriend because he tried the hottest sauce they will let you sample. It is so hot that they dip a toothpick in it and have you roll it on your tongue. He handled it remarkably well. He was still feeling it later in the evening.

After we left Alonzo’s we headed back to the house. It was time for the youngsters to leave and head back to Hollywood. It was emotional time for all. We won’t get to see them until Christmas time. We said our good-byes and sadly watched them walk through the gate. I know they have to grow up and spread their wings. I just don’t have to like it. But such are the ways of life and so it shall be forever. After they left I went to SWB for a very short while to say goodbye to John because I knew he would be off the last 2 nights of our trip. 2 goodbyes in one night should be banned. Even though it is no fun I am sure glad I did it. I also got to say goodbye to Raven and Dave. I then headed back to the house for the night. The next day held a long trip in store and I wanted to be rested for it. I will be posting the rest of the trip reports over the next few days and until then, be safe and happy.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 8----9-4-12

Thanks for the report. Alonzo's conch chowder is great but your wife has to try it at Roof Top Cafe it's OMG good!!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 8----9-4-12

Thanks SW! I love these reports.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 8----9-4-12

I've read every one so far, keep them coming! They help when your countdown is so riduculously large.

Alonzo's conch chowder is on my list to try next time. Not much of a chowder fan but everyone just raves about it.

4. Re: Day 8----9-4-12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:17