We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Prices

South Carolina
Level Contributor
12 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Food Prices

We are going to Key West for the first time in October. We have rented a condo that has a kitchen and plan on doing breakfast and lunch there and eating out for dinner. I was curious if the prices at the grocery stores are more expensive. Should I buy what we need at home and take with us. Thanks!!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food Prices

More expensive than what? South Carolina? Thats a tough call.

I've found that prices in the keys are a little higher, but not enough to make me want to haul the crap with me. A cooler filled with ice and food will take a lot of space. I doubt that it would be worth it.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
12 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food Prices

Well, we are stopping by Disney World before going to Key West, so I would pick up what we need in Orlando. I just didn't know if the prices in Key West were a lot more. Sounds like they aren't too bad? Thanks!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food Prices

Fausto's is higher than Publix/Winn Dixie, I wouldn't BYOF, not really worth the savings vs convienence.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food Prices

They aren't high enough to be worth the effort of the haul. We don't find it worth it to buy groceries when in Florida City/Miami vs Key West and The Keys. Shop local!

Michigan City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food Prices

I agree, no sense in bringing in supplies. The prices really aren't higher than most other places.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food Prices

Prices are a little higher, but don't bring your own, UNLESS you have something special that you might not find down here.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food Prices

I find that snack items are alot more than where we live, so I do try and bring some snacks, and also coffee. . But the rest I buy there. I find fruits and veggies cheaper in the keys than in New England. I do bring some things that you would only need a small amount of for a weeks stay, and therefore wouldn't want to buy a whole box of sweet n low, or sugar.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,347 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food Prices

I will add - I was at the Tavernier Winn Dixie this week and prices were higher then they are in Marathon - some items by a good amount. Hmmmmm ?

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food Prices

Like others have said, the prices are higher, but not high enough to warrant bringing your own - besides snacks for the drive down. Hit the Publix and buy what you need when you're there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
84 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food Prices

I shop at Publix here in Atlanta and yes the price at Publix in KW is higher. A good bit more expensive. Not sure that I would haul groceries with me but you will pay more. Did not care for Fausto's at all .