We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

10-16 Took the redeye out of Denver and landed in Ft. Lauderdale around 6am. Got our rental car, got lost in the rental car parking lot for 30 min, and then got on the road. Since it was so early and we could not check into our room in Islamorada until 3pm, we decided to go to the Everglades and Robert is Here (I have done both before but thought my fiance would like it) Drove to Robert Is Here and it was closed due to remodeling, went to the everglades, veni vidi vici, were off.

Got to Islamorada around noon and tried to check in at the hotel The Islander, our room was not clean but got the go ahead for pool/bar/beach. But we were hungry so went to Robbies for lunch and to feed the Tarpoon. My food was eh, but feeding the fish was fun. A few beers later went back to the hotel for a siesta. Woke up got ready and went to the hotel bar for a few drinks, got the bill, YIKES, and then went to Lor-e-lie for dinner. Music, drinks, and food excellent.

10-17 We wake up and start our drive to Key West. We stopped at Seaside Dawgs & Beef in Marathon for lunch, I thought it was pretty good until I had a way better hotdog later in the trip. Then it started raining...hard. Good thing we stopped because it took forever to get to Key West. But the second we got to Stock Island the sun came out to greet us. Stopped to see the Real World house (looks cooler in person) We got in at three and checked into Cypress House, rented a scooter and returned the rental car. Had dinner at Conch Republic Seafood and bar hopped the night away.

10-18 Didn't really have a plan for the day so we walked to Blue Heaven for breakfast and then were too full and tired to walk back so we rented bikes and biked around awhile (Fort Zachary and Southern most point) Had lunch at Garbo's Grill, now this is the hot dog I was talking about, DROOL, and went back to the hotel for a swim and a rest before dinner. We rode our bikes to Santiago's Bodega and and then to Better Than Sex for dessert. Made it an early night and hit the hay.

10-19 Woke up early for our Ultimate Adventure on with Fury Water Adventure. Started with breakfast, fruit and pastries, and the out to the reef for snorkeling. Had lunch, fired chicken, deli meats and cheeses, and then split into three groups for parasailing, jet skiing and water trampoline/kayaking. On the trip back they filled us full of Bud Light. When we got back we went to the hotel for nightly happy hour and then to Sunset Pier for drinks and sunset viewing. Walked Duval a little shopping and boozing and ended up a Hogs Breath for appetizers and drinks. Got a pedi-cab home and crashed. Food+Sunburn+drinks=sleepy time

10-20 Day to go home :( We take our time packing and getting ready and check out at 10:59, attempt to get some exercise and walk to the airport for our rental car but only make it about halfway before hailing a cab. Get the car and drive to B.O.'S Fish Wagon for a burger before hitting the dusty trail. Nine hours of traveling and we are home!

Everyone kept saying "Either you love it or you don't"

I'll see you next year my friend!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Thanks for taking the time to post! We love Garbo's too.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
430 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Weare Garbos virgins, will be eating there for the first time in two weeks! Glad to hear you had a great time

Edited: 23 October 2012, 20:19
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Thanks for the report! When is your return trip? :)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Nice! Short trip and some sweet fun. Glad to hear we'll have you back again!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Thanks for posting, Garbo's and Santiago's are among our favorites. Great food and great owners at both!

Delaware
Level Contributor
78 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Great trip report. Glad you had a good time. We are hooked on the hot dogs from Key West Pretzels at Sunset Celebration.....

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Nice report, thanks. You must have hit the same torential rains we did just before getting to KW on the 17th. And we probably saw you at Blue Heaven on the 18th too! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Thanks for the report , I could fly down just for the mango dog at Garbo's !!!

conn
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

Sounds like a great 1st trip. Glad to hear you fall into the "loved it" column. Discovered Santiagos Bodega on a trip in September and loved it.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost my Key West virginity, Trip report

lost your virginity.....but KW says they love you too !