We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier House or the Hyatt?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, West...
1 post
Save Topic
Pier House or the Hyatt?

Early 40's couple. Love to relax and hang out on the beach or by the pool. Really enjoy the nightlife and having fun. We have narrowed it down to the Pier House or the Hyatt. We have read most of the reviews and can't really decide. Any advice or suggestions?

south dennis n.j.
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

wife and i enjoy the Pier House nice beach to sit on, and swim in the gulf

NH
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

Can't vouch for the Hyatt. Just stayed at the Pier House, and we liked it, and the major reasons were we liked the spots to relax, hang by the beach and pool, bar right there, close to the nightlife and the fun. And, we are in our mid 40's...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,409 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

Locaion is a wash which you probably saw, the hotels being across Duval from one another. I do the Pier House because of the beach and beach-side bar, the piano bar and the pool and the grounds. I usually do a 2nd floor garden view room since I like being able to overlook the pool and any flowers that are blooming outside the veranda.And being able to have a drink while standing in the pool or in the ocean or on the float out there is a real plus.

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,409 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

Make that Simonton. I was thinking Simonton and writing Duval. No harm no foul.

Pjk

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,577 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

Both hotels are really nice and both have their fans. the Pier House beach is nicer if that matters. The Hyatt was recently renovated and has very nice rooms. I would go with whichever one has the nicer room at the better rate.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,409 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

The problem with the Hyatt is that the pool is so shallow - 3' 9" at the *deep* end. The pool at the Pier House is 9' deep at the deep end.

And you could fit everyone who is staying at the Pier House on a lounge chair on the beach. It's big enough. At the Hyatt could can get 10 -12 chairs on the beach. It's that small.

Pjk

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

Hyatt is more modern and has nicer rooms, Pier House is more tropical and has nicer grounds. I've stayed at both and give a slight edge to the Hyatt.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

We love the Pier House! Wouldn't stay anywhere else! There is nothing like the Harborview rooms there.. best kept secret around.. you have your own private place to watch the sunset every night! Also so much fun watching the boats come and go and the sea life.. (yes we have been lucky enough to see dolphins right from our balcony!)

The beach is great and the beach bar is convenient and fun. The grounds are beautiful. You can't go wrong... do the Harborview if you can swing it.. otherwise... just do whatever you can afford ... any room at the Pier House is better than no room at the Pier House!

If it helps you... from the Hyatt you can see the bums sleeping on the Simonton Beach... not really the nicest site. It also does look like a nice hotel.. we considered it before finding the Pier House.. Now we'd never consider staying anywhere else.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,409 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

I'm splurging for a Harbor View next May. I'm gettin' old.

Pjk

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pier House or the Hyatt?

We love the Pier House, 40's couple also. Would love to stay in Harbor View but since our time in the room is limited I can't justify the added expense. Look forward to you thoughts on that Peter.