We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi question

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
558 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi question

Someone mentioned to me that it could be cheaper to rent a car for one day at the airport on arrival to just go to your hotel( Mermaid/Alligator) instead of getting a taxi?

The taxi fares in Feb are probably higher at that time, but I am not sure - you have to take the car back to the airport after you drop off your stuff, what's the point here?? Am I missing something. (Yes my hair is blonde)

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi question

were you reading in regards to coming from MIA/FLL airport?

SW Indiana
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi question

It will be chaeper if you are going to go somewhere besides your hotel. For example, when we go we rent a car, drop off our luggage at the house we rent and then drive to Stock Island to eat at Hogfish Bar and Grill. We stop at the grocery and liquor stores to stock up and then go back to the house. I then return the car to the airport. That is cheaper than taxiing everywhere. If you are just going to your hotel/B&B just use a taxi. It'll cost you $8 p/p plus tip.

If you are going to rent a car, call the companies direct and ask if there any special local daily rates. we have had the best luck with Budget at about $30/day.

Edited: 01 November 2012, 15:29
conn
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi question

If your flying into Kw it doesn't make sense to rent a car to go to a hotel in KW. Fares are generally $15-25 almost anywhere on the island. Some hotels have free shuttles, check with your hotel.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi question

if you take a taxi by yourself you'll pay the metered rate, so with a generous tip it can be close to $20 to deep into Old Town.

Groups still have a per person rate, but if you're just dropping the rental car off at the airport you might not find anyone to share a ride with if no planes have landed recently.

When leaving your hotel, to get around the island, just use a taxi if you are in a hurry, have a lot of things to carry, or just don't feel like walking.

You'll save yourself the hassle of searching for parking, not to mention the cost of the rental car.

Edited: 01 November 2012, 18:33
key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi question

FYI, taxi fares do not change with the season :)

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi question

Enterprise will drop you off at your hotel when you return a car. We used them for a one day rental in Savannah and they were terrific - they picked me up at our hotel and dropped me off when I returned the car.

7. Re: Taxi question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 10:16