We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dueling Pianos

Londonderry, NH
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dueling Pianos

Last December I thoroughly enjoyed the Dueling Pianos show and was looking forward to doing so again next month. However, after about a half year after my last trip we all learned that Dueling Pianos was closed down for lack of business. I guess the consensus was that it would have to have been open during the day, as well as the night, in order for it to make a go. I'll miss it. Now, in those same threads half a year ago there was mention of an outfit called Coyote Ugly, a la the movie of the same name, moving into that spot. I've heard no more. So, can anyone enlighten me as to what I might find in that spot next month? Thanks. Wayne <><

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dueling Pianos

I'm predicting Coyote Ugly will stay open there through next spring break season. Look for something new in that location after that. Note- this is pure speculation based on seeing things come and go in town. I have yet to step foot in Coyote Ugly, not that I won't but it's certainly not on the to do list!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dueling Pianos

Coyote Ugly is indeed in that space. It is one of many around the country and since I don't particularly care for chains that come to Key West, it's not a place I would typically recommend. Some might be interested in the girls dancing on the bar part of the experience, but again, for me, not so much.

People should definitely check it out though and decide for themselves. Everyone likes different things, as we often discover here!

Londonderry, NH
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dueling Pianos

I guess my question has been answered insomuch as that Coyote Ugly did eventually move into that spot. Nobody has said anything about it in all this time. I saw the movie and don't believe that it is a place that I would patronize. I haven't even been to Margaritaville or Hard Rock Cafe and this will be my fifth Key West visit in as many years. I just might pop in for a beer to check it out and just to say that I have been there. Maybe I might even give Margaritaville a chance and have a beer and burger with them on this trip. I don't believe that Coyote Ugly is befitting a 63 year old. Dueling pianos did. Thanks. Wayne <><

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dueling Pianos

We walked past CU many times last month, didn't see any reason to go in. We've been to other CU's and thought they were OK if there wasn't any other good bar around. KW has way better bars and even a better "cowboy" bar (better for us usually means live music) so, yeah, not for us.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dueling Pianos

You can see the girls dancing on the bar from the sidewalk. It's a big, no thanks, for me, but I'm sure there are those who would like it. It won't make it unless it embraces the locals, in my opinion.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dueling Pianos

CU girls were friendly, fun atmosphere. Wife danced on the bar with the girls. They do push the $9 shots quite a bit. And when we didn't buy one, they sprayed us with the water from the soda gun. Another soon to be failed venture in KW.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dueling Pianos

Haven't been in, but walked by. It was busy at night. As far as chains go, at least half the places on Duval qualify. All chains/franchsises employ local people who make or break the place for me.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dueling Pianos

Employing locals isn't the same as local owned. Taxes etc make a difference. I back local owned over a chain. And I will always give my business to local owners over chains or out of town owners.

L

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dueling Pianos

For some reason, that particular location changes hands (names) constantly. They seem to last for a year or two, then close. Rumrunners was the last venue that lasted for any length of time.

Coyote Ugly was open as of last week. I didn't go in but it was busy...although not packed. Except for Fantasy Fest...but then again, every place was packed during Fantasy Fest.

The only other chain that I see that business is constant is Hard Rock. Of course they're a restaurant so that attributes to their success in Key West. And they have the merchandise side too.

I think most folks will take a peek, maybe stop for a beer to check it out, but the locals-owned bars have it all over the chains. It's all about the the laid-back, Key West mystic and ambiance.

MN
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dueling Pianos

We have walked past that place several times in the past couple of days. There was never more than a couple of people in there. Im guessing it will be gone in a few months.