We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions

We are going to a wedding in Key West in February, and was thinking of only staying Thursday - Saturday and heading out to a different key, somewhere less "hectic" Sunday - Thursday. We are from Boston, early 40s no kids and very much enjoy just chilling on the beach in the winter! Maybe rent a car one day and drive up to Key Largo, but for the most part just want somewhere nice to relax, have a few drinks, some good food....

A friend recommended Hawks Cay in Duck Key, but that seems a little too far? (we are flying in and out of Key West).

Any and all advice and opinions are welcome. happy new year :)

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,782 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Hawks Cay is one hour from Key West and only a minute from Marathon and twenty mins to Islamorada. Not sure what "too far" means - like from where are you referring?

Islamorada and Marathon/Key Colony Beach are all nice for the relaxing part of your stay in the Keys.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

An hour outside of key west/the airport is not too bad. in looking at the map it's hard to tell. Would like somewhere quiet but not too remote that there is nothing to do or takes too long to get back to airport. thanks very much. We will look into Key Colony Beach

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

if you want a more tranquil stay I think you've got your dates mixed up.

But I guess you're stuck with them due to the wedding. I assume it's on the Saturday?

Staying outside Key West, especially if you like to go out for dinner or see the sights and sounds, often calls for a rental car, as few places have everything right there.

Hawks Cay and Key Colony Beach have plenty of places to go for dinner, snorkeling, etc that are a short drive away, though not nearly as many as Key West.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

No need to drive to Key Largo. The most interesting part of the drive is KW to Islamorada. There are lots of great options for places to stay, but I prefer KW so I will let other posters help you with that. Just want to add that KW doesn't have to be hectic, there are plenty of quieter places to discover, or spend the day out on the water on one of the smaller boats.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Thanks Orion and KamperGirl! The wedding rehearsal dinner is Thursday night, wedding Friday night, brunch sat morning, bar crawl saturday night! busy and unfortunately already all planned out. We were thinking 8 nights may be too much for key West, so maybe we'll stay another 2 days Sunday/Monday in KW then head to Hawks Cay Tues - Thurs. I'm sure it will go by so fast and we'll wish we had 1 or 2 more days!

Easton,Pa
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

I say rent a car for the day and drive up the Keys to enjoy Bahia Honda, the seven mile bridge and lunch/dinner somewhere. Key West is what you want it to be. We are a 50's couple who enjoy the same things as you and KW meets those needs. Rent bikes, ride the side streets, stay off Duval to eat, go to Fort Zacchary Taylor, enjoy the beach but bring water shoes, go on a sunset sail etc. etc.....

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Depending on your interests, 8 days is not to much. There is a lot of history and culture packed on that tiny island. Take the conch train tour, if the wedding party has not already planned that. It gives a great overview of the island's history and attractions. KW is also a foodie's paradise. More amazing food than you can try in a month, let alone 8 days. With that much time, I would also vote for a visit to Bahia Honda and/or a trip to the Dry Tortugas. Also, KW is famous for it's sunsets. There are many different sunset sail options to choses from. One or two days by the beach, and the wedding party days and *poof* your trip is over and you have to start planning when to come back.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary suggestions

If I were you, I'd stick to the original plan and split your time between Key West and the Middle Keys. There is a HUGE difference between the two locations and I think you should experience both.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,782 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Totally agree with marcomamma!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary suggestions

I agree - we just decided to stay in the keys for the 8 nights. I was reading the reviews on Hawks Cay and have a bad feeling it won't be worth changing hotels for 2-3 nights (seems too expensive, too many kids etc). The wedding is at Southernmost in KW so I'll see if they can get us a nice ocean view room an we will be perfectly happy there. As you said, we can rent a car take a ride up to Islamorada one day, Key Colony Beach the next, etc. We like to be lazy by day and go out for dinner/drinks at night so KW will have plenty of options I'm sure. thanks again - getting excited! we leave Feb 21st