We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February flats fishing

toledo, oh
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
February flats fishing

I will be in Key West the first week of February and I'm thinking a half day of "beginner" flats fishing might be fun. My question is - am I too late to book ? I kind of hate to have a rigid schedule for a laidback vacation

conn
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February flats fishing

Try Luke Kelly, great flats guide near KW. Phone: 305-304-3152. Luke is very patient and should be good for you. Not sure what is biting on the flats this time of year though.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 15:43
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February flats fishing

If you walk along the Key West Bight in front of the Schooner Wharf Bar, Turtle Kraals, and up to the Half Shell Raw Bar, the various types of fishing are advertised on virtually every pole, and you might even see someone there to ask questions. They generally have flyers for you to take with prices and telephone numbers.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Schooner Wharf Bar
Schooner Wharf Bar
2,239 Reviews
Key West, FL
Half Shell Raw Bar
Half Shell Raw Bar
2,188 Reviews
Key West, FL
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: February flats fishing

It is definately not too late to book but I would reccomend booking in advance. The better guides start to fill thier schedules in February. Not all guides are created equal so do some research, there are some threads on this site you can check out, then send a few emails or make a few calls and book with someone based on that. I would highly reccomend Mike Bartlett. I've been out with him for the last five years (I think) and he is a good guy who has always gone the extra mile to try to get me on fish.

Early February can be hit or miss for flats fishing. If there is a stretch of warm weather you might get some shots at permit, bonefish or even tarpon. If not then it will be mostly barracuda and jacks which can be a blast. Mikes website www.keywestflats.net

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
515 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: February flats fishing

It is definately not too late to book but I would reccomend booking in advance. The better guides start to fill thier schedules in February. Not all guides are created equal so do some research, there are some threads on this site you can check out, then send a few emails or make a few calls and book with someone based on that. I would highly reccomend Mike Bartlett. I've been out with him for the last five years (I think) and he is a good guy who has always gone the extra mile to try to get me on fish.

Early February can be hit or miss for flats fishing. If there is a stretch of warm weather you might get some shots at permit, bonefish or even tarpon. If not then it will be mostly barracuda and jacks which can be a blast. Mikes website www.keywestflats.net

5. Re: February flats fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:15