We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth overnight stay?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Worth overnight stay?

Hi, I am visiting Miami for a week in May and plan to visit Key West - I can't decide whether a day visit is adequate or whether an overnight stay would be better - any advice?

FL
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth overnight stay?

Overnight for sure, It's along drive to and from Miami in one day, you'll be exhausted! or maybe stay in another Key half way?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth overnight stay?

Yes your right, thanks for this - I had thought about Key Largo.. do you have any recommendations? Key Largo or Key West?

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
548 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth overnight stay?

Stay in Key west. The sunset celebration is a sight to see and all the great restaurants are there. Plus the Keys drive is pretty to see during the daylight hours

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth overnight stay?

I would drive into Key West stay one night then drive back. This way you can stay out late to get a taste of the night life and then have a nice breakfast the next morning!

PJ

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,414 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth overnight stay?

Drive, check-in (11:00 if lucky) explore, sunset, dinner, naps. Wake up, breakfast, wander, leave.

Net - not worth it unless you can spend one full day, two full nights (are there any other kinds?)

Pjk

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth overnight stay?

You need to stay the night. And Key Largo and Key West are two different birds. I personally enjoy Key Largo a little better because its more relaxed. But someone from out of town has to hit Key West. It's eclectic and funky and a lot of fun. If you can stay more than one night then you should.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worth overnight stay?

it's a long drive between Miami and Key West. The miles may not seem like much but the reduced speeds you'll travel can make it a 4 hour drive, and even longer if you stop at those places that catch your eye.

Of course you could always fly down and be there in an hour.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worth overnight stay?

I think I'd forgo the overnight and just spend your time in Key West. Why would you want to overnight in Miami?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Worth overnight stay?

I really appreciate everyones comments, im definitely going to stay over in key west and maybe even longer than 1 night now.

RM-MN.. little surprised by your miami comment.. would you not recommend a stay in miami? I very excited about visiting miami.

Thanks again everyone!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worth overnight stay?

Miami is great! Do stay there. Totally different from Key West. We stay in SOBE a few nights every year and enjoy it. And yes, I highly recommend staying over night, or more, in KW as well.