We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turnpike fees

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Turnpike fees

What are they at each stop these days--for tourists that dont have the special pass?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Turnpike fees

www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_tollrates.cfm

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turnpike fees

as a point of reference... it used to be just 3 or 4 toll stops, $1 at each stop, from Miami.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
479 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turnpike fees

You can't pay with cash.

You've got to have a SunPass OR use the pay by plate option. Auto Rental companies charge varying service fees (per day or a single fee) to use the pay by plate option.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Turnpike fees

That special pass (Sunpass or Toll by Plate) is only required at the cashless toll gates and these are only at the last 57 miles of the Turnpike in the Miami area.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 02:49
Level Contributor
128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turnpike fees

Bringing this topic back up to the top for my question:

So if I am driving from the FLL airport to Key west I have to have a Sunpass and can not pay with cash at the toll plazas? I was looking at my rental car agreement and it is $8 a day to get the SunPass with your rental. Otherwise if you go through a toll plaza and they have to use the license plate to charge you it is a $15 fee plus the toll charged by the rental company. I was assuming it was like the turnpike here in PA where you can pay cash at each exit. I didn't know there was such a thing as a toll road that doesn't take cash. It looks like it is $4 for the tolls from FLL to Key West, and I either pay the rental car company the $8 a day charge ($56 for the week) or pay the $15 plate fee twice plus the $8 in tolls for the round trip. Am I missing another option?

Edited: 15 January 2013, 23:28
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turnpike fees

Is your agreement with Dollar? I think they are about the worst deal out there for southern Florida tolls. Switch your rental company if you can, that's the easiest solution. I know there are some less expensive options. For example, Alamo charges $2.99 per day for each day you use the sunpass plus the cost of tolls. They were also the least expensive option when I booked for our upcoming trip.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turnpike fees

We use Budget when we drive in. I think they have the best deal.

Level Contributor
128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turnpike fees

Yes, it is with Dollar. The rate is better with them than any of the other companies so switching will cost me more than I will save in tolls. I guess Dollar will make some money off me on the tolls sigh.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
183 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turnpike fees

Ugh. Glad I saw your post, as I didn't know about this either! How have I missed this in all of my research?! Our rental is currently with Alamo -- I'm hoping you don't have to pay per day for the Sunpass, as the car will just be sitting most of the time. This seems ridiculous to me!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turnpike fees

Alamo is pay for the day you use the sunpass only, your good.