We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

My husband and I are considering a trip in April to rest and relax at key west. We will fly in and we don't plan to rent a car. Other than r&r, we want to charter a boat one day and spend some time lounging on a beach in the FL sun! I have seen other posts about "local" beaches but it is hard to tell if any are within walking distance from the la concha. I am excited that the hotel is within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. but going to a beach is a priority for us! Can we walk to one? Take the trolley or a cab?

Any suggestions and recommendations for our trip will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

You closest beach will be South Beach at ~ .8 miles up Duval St. (~1700 steps)

Fort Zachary Taylor State Park, which is my favorite, is about a mile away' closer to 2000 steps, but for some reason, that walk feels further than that to me.

The best way to get around is to rent bikes, which makes the whole thing a lot easier and faster. Still, both of those are reasonably close, so you should be fine.

If you go to Fort Zach, it's fun to take the self guided tour of the actual fort and to walk the nature trail.

Enjoy!

Edited: 09 January 2013, 13:32
Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

For the boat charter check this out "Take me there Charter" the link below has Captain Tommy's phone number, his web site is temp down. Call Tommy and tell him what you want to do .

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34345-d17…

PJ

NC
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

Steps - thank you!

now we have looked at the Marriott Beachside. how does that compare to the LaConcha for

* access to local beaches

* walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc

* general location and ambiance?

decisions, decisions!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
768 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

Rent bikes for your visit and you will be able to get anywhere. The whole island is not very big.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

now we have looked at the Marriott Beachside. how does that compare to the LaConcha for

* access to local beaches- not as good is on the other side of the Island

* walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc - not as good La Conch is in the middle of the action in Old Town, MBS is in New Town. MBS does have a shuttle.

* general location and ambiance? not as good location but better ambiance IMO.

PJ

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

Beachside is a great property, but if one of the things you're most excited about is being walking distance from a lot of restaurants, shops, etc, La. Concha is definitely a better choice.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

Be aware that our beaches are not very good. They are either very rocky (Fort Zachary), or often have sea weed or shallow murky water.

Certainly you can have a nice day sitting on The beach, but don't expect great beaches or you will be dissapointed. If a beach is important to you, The Reach has a pretty nice private beach. the Pier House also has a very small, but well kept beach. Either place would be fine in terms of walking to restaurants and shops.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

I wouldn't try to walk to the beach from La Concha, especially to Ft. Zach (the best beach, IMO) and even more so if I was carrying anything. Take a cab or rent a bike.

La Concha has a great location, in that you are in the middle of everything, but the beaches aren't in the middle, but on the edges, if that makes sense...

Casa Marina is on the Atlantic side of the island and seems to have a nice, man-made beach, and even nicer pool areas.

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

La concha is a great locale. Rent bike or take a cab to fort Zachary beach. I love it there.

NC
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: walking distance from La Concha crowne plaza?

We booked la concha tonight! Thanks for all of your help! The countdown begins!