We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key west vs. aruba?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Key west vs. aruba?

My wife and I are looking for a 5 night get away, for some reason key west came to my mind. Can anyone recommend hotels under 200$ that are fairly nice and close to the beach? Also what else should we plan on doing while we are there, it will be the two of us, definitly no kids and prefer not to be around kids either :)

How does Key west compare to Aruba? that was our last vacation which we fully enjoyed. It seems like lodging in key west is pretty pricy.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,693 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

Totally different then Aruba. Especially when it comes to beaches. If you want beach, head back to Aruba. Key west is a more walkable area then Aruba. Lots of shops and restaurants that you can walk to from most places. No big high rises like Aruba. More to do in kw and usually a lot less wind, at least it's not on a constant basis like it is in Aruba.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

Under $200, what month? Tough to get that price.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

Having been to both places, it's obvious both places are completely different. Aruba: you go there to sit on a beach, maybe play some slots, maybe eat some overpriced hotel food, etc. Key West is a whole other experience. You can go there for walking the historic district, getting in some history, eating great food, and having more options in general. KW can be expensive, but so can Aruba. Of course you have the added benefits of not having to exchange money in KW. Probably an "easier" trip from NH. The benefit of Aruba is they have the same weather year round, and they're not in the hurricane zone. You MAY end up in KW and have an (unlikely) stretch of bad weather and rain....that goes with any Southeast US travel though.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

Like Bluewater said, beaches= Aruba.....fun=KW. We've been to Aruba about 10 times and KW over the last 20 years. As much as I love Aruba, its all about the beaches there with very little night life except for the pier bars which usually close shortly after sun down. With KW, the beaches don't come close to Aruba but the fun things to do out weigh Aruba hands down. We haven't been back to Aruba since a 17 day stay in 09 but we do really like it there and will be back sometime. KW is a no brainer, we'll be back in a few weeks for our 6 week stay.

Buster

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

I have to agree with Ben P except about the weather.

I just spent 4 weekd in Bonaire which is very close to Aruba and has the exact same weather.

You can get rain down there. The first week was a rainey week and the last week it rained on and off every day.

If you want beaches go to Aruba but if you want to have fun head to Key West.

Cocoa, Fl
Level Contributor
224 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

that's a no brainer! been both places many times.. Aruba: Chrystal water- from shore to Deep sea.. Palm trees.. White sand.. Reefs close to shore.. Non touristy..

K>W- touristy- pricey- murky water- Reef only by boat- Rocky beaches- with murky water--

Hmmm..???

Cocoa, Fl
Level Contributor
224 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

Don't get me wrong.. I like K.W-- only cuz you can drive there.. & it's close to us ( in FL)

and yes it is fun.. but if there was a choice, & money was not the issue--

Def-- Aruba.. for the beaches & the Reefs,

If you want night life + Beaches.. why not try Cancun, or Cozumel??

We go there too, & it def has both! :)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

Been to both many times. I could comfortably spend a week in Aruba (of note, I'm not a diver). I could LIVE in Key West. That sums it up for me.

9. Re: Key west vs. aruba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 06:17