We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Miami to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Miami to Key West

We are coming over to Miami/Key West (and Barbados) for our honeymoon. After 4 nights in Miami, we are staying for 3 nights in Key West. We have booked a car already through Alamo.

What is the best route from Collins Avenue in Miami, to Key West. I've heard there are a few different routes?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,909 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

836 West to the Turnpike. Turnpike South (no worries, signs for Key West) Turnpike will dump you onto US1 in Florida City. That will then take you straight to KW. Easy drive.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

What bluewater said is the fastest and nicest way to go.

If you don't stop along the way it should take about four hours.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

Where exactly on Collins are you staying?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

Bluewater/Bottomtime, thanks very much for your help - that sounds quite simple compared to other routes I had looked at.

I'm now more worried about the journey back to Miami as we are staying at Islamorada, but have a flight out of Miami at 09.55. Looks like an early start that day!

Martin D - we are picking the car uip from Alamo, 4332 Collins Avenue. Have you used them before?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

One other question, I believe this may be a toll road? We don't have them in the UK - are these quite simple to use?

Does the route you suggest mean we would have to pay tolls? I'm assuming this is simply just paying cash at the barrier/s? (Sorry for what may sound an obvious question!)

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

Alamo has a good/simple toll program. They will add $2.99 per day on the days you use the toll road plus the cost of the toll. They have either a toll sticker or toll by plate so its invisable to you, just drive.

Charlottesville...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

Just to clarify, you mentioned that you're staying in Key West, then Islamorada. Wanted to make sure you're aware that they are not the same place. Key West is close to a 2 hour drive from Islamorada.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

Sharla2 - thanks! You can tell I don't have a clue, I was thinking we stopped at barriers and had to pay some money! I didn't realise that you just drove as normal! Lol!

More_Cowbe11 - yeh, I know - I wanted to visit Key West, but we need to be in Miami at 09.55 for a flight to Barbados so I decided to have the first 3 nights in Key West, then spend 2 nights at Casa Morada, in Islamorada, and drive back to Miami from there. It will still be an early start, but not as bad as if we were driving from Key West.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

CamJK, there are toll plazzas where you have to stop and pay a toll, but southern Florida has changed over to the toll by plate or sticker option to save money I assume. So you aren't as clueless as you say! ;)

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Miami to Key West

The Miami airport has a nice hotel right in the airport. Instead of staying at Casa Morada you could stay in the airport and avoid that very early morning start.

When you stay in the airport you can have a nice breakfast in their restaurant and when you leave the loby of the hotel is by security..