We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

We slept in as much as possible, which wasn’t too late thanks to the roosters (which we expected), the trash truck (which we did not), and all of the people on scooters going to work (again, not expected). Apparently Southard Street is the chosen alternate for Duval and traffic was higher than we’d experienced in the past. But we’re in Key West, so who can complain?

The birthday boys made us all breakfast, and then it was off to find some adventure. Only a few people in our group had been to KW before, and none of them (except for us) had spent the night there. So, it was off to Duval to see what we could see. One thing we noticed this time was the lack of “interesting” people. In the past we’ve seen some very unusual people and were looking forward to seeing them again – but we never saw any odd people all week. What’s up with that? It seemed weird that everyone was normal and boring.

We heard there was a craft show going on that weekend, so some of us headed over there. Several items were purchased and it was fun seeing all of the cool stuff on display. A stop at the Harley store and then we met up with the rest of the group in Mallory Square. We spent some time there, then went over to Kelly’s for lunch and some of those famous margaritas. It wasn’t the best margarita I’ve ever had (my hubby holds that title), but they were good. I normally don’t drink margaritas when we go out because I don’t like them compared to my hubby’s, but these were palatable.

After Kelly’s it was off to the Zero mile marker and the necessary photo ops. We were working our way down to the 800 block of Duval because we wanted to see Drag Queen Bingo! That was the highlight of the day (and the entire week and possibly the entire year). We got there early and bought 2 drinks each with our Key West Bar Cards, then headed upstairs. We had a big group, so we took over one of the big pits on either side of the stage. This would late prove to be an interesting decision! The 5 men in our group ranged from completely homophobic (2 of them), to mildly homophobic (another 2) to Who Cares (the only sane one). Once the show got started they all relaxed and eventually had a GREAT time! One of the homophobic men was picked on incessantly by Mitch, our host. He picked on our entire group a lot and we loved it! At one point during the show, there was a tie between 2 Bingo players. To decide the winner, they had to show a talent. The gal who won tried to do a handstand, flipped over the rail and into our pit – into the lap of one of the guys! It was just like the movie Animal House where the Playboy bunny lands on the bed of a preteen boy… “Thank you, God!” Anyway, Drag Queen Bingo is a great way to raise money for charity, and you have a night you’ll always remember. We won three of the games and received some interesting prizes. LOL!! We learned a lot of new words & phrases and the group repeated things that Mitch said all week. I think we’ll get years of enjoyment out of one night of Drag Queen Bingo. Thanks for the memories, Mitch!

After Drag Queen Bingo it was back to the rental for a dip in the pool and pizza from Luigi’s Secret Recipes. The pizza was very good, but that may have been a result of all the B12 shots we had at Drag Queen Bingo! ;-)

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Thanks for the report Julie, I think you mean Simonton Street not Southard and yes Simonton is very busy in the early hour when they are hosing and blowing off Duval. I'm can't be sure that is the reason but the timing is right.

PJ

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Whoops, too many streets we walked down. Yes, we stayed on Simonton. It makes sense that people use Simonton when Duval is being cleaned! I never would have thought of that. It was a very busy street each morning!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

The fun continues for your group!! Glad to made it to Drag Queen Bingo. It's something you have to experience to understand, and so much fun!!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

And the fun continues! Loving the one day at a time details too!

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Drag Queen bingo is a blast. Cannot wait to take our 23yr old daughter over Easter. She always seems to be the one who gets singled out in when we do fun things. We stayed at Merlin Guesthouse this past August & noticed the increased traffic in the AM also...only one rooster who lived right outside the patio off our room.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

It sounds like you had a really fun time. Great trip report!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
449 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

I love drag queen bingo. Mitch is the best! Great day 2:)

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,149 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Met Mitch at the airport last year and promised him we'd be back for bingo! Soulds like your group is hitting a lot of the hot spots and having loads of fun. Can't wait for day 3!

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Really enjoying the reports!!

chicago
Level Contributor
387 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 2

Sounds like you are having a great time.

As for the lack of interesting characters, that could be because of all the changes KW has been going through in the last 30 yrs or so. All the material I have read about early KW was all full of interesting characters. It seems that as a place becomes more touristy and expensive, it can begin losing it's charm including interesting characters. They probably can't afford to live there any longer.