We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
204 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Remember the shots of fireball whiskey we did before we went to bed? Well, apparently some people are allergic to large doses of cinnamon – like my husband. He woke up at 2:30 and felt like there was something in his throat. Not his throat closing up, but like something was stuck in it and he could still breathe. We went to the ER (a new experience for us on a KW trip!) and found that his uvula was swollen – nothing else. After a healthy dose of anti-inflammatories the swelling started to go down, and they let him go after 3 hours in the ER. We got back to the rental at 6:30 AM, but at least we were tired enough that we slept through the roosters, trash trucks and scooters this time!

We woke up when the rest of the group was packing the SUV for the return trip and he felt much better. We saw everyone off, then packed up our stuff for Paradise Porters. I can’t say how great this service is – they come pick up your bags and keep them until you’re ready to leave. No more hauling your bags around all day until your evening flight. The only thing we didn’t like was that we couldn’t leave them there until we were ready to leave for the airport, they had to be picked up by 5:00.

We spent the rest of the morning walking to various pharmacies to fill the hubby’s script. Walgreen’s pharmacy must be closed on Saturday, the CVS on Front Street doesn’t have a pharmacy, but the one on Truman does.

Script filled, it was time for lunch – at Fogarty’s. We shared a cheese quesadilla and a cobb salad that was bigger than my head and had a few drinks from Flying Monkeys. Love that place.

When it’s your last day in KW, what do you do? For us that’s easy – go watch Michael McCloud at the SWB. What a great way to spend our afternoon. Michael’s looking tired these days and I hear his health isn’t the greatest. I hope he’s around for many more years since we love to see him when we’re in town. I can’t think of any other way I’d like to spend my last day. We like to start the trip at SWB and end it the same way.

We drug ourselves out of SWB and decided to have an early dinner at JDL’s since we liked it so much the first time. On our way there, we picked up our suitcases from Paradise Porters ($10 a bag, an excellent price) . JDL’s was a short walk and we put our bags in the corner while we ate. Their pierogies were excellent! After dinner we called a cab to the airport. Our trip was almost over. :(

Flights home were uneventful, and we spent the night in Richmond before going home the next day. When we left the hotel that morning, it was snowing again. We’d come full circle – but I would rather be in sunny KW temps!

We'll be back, and for 2 weeks next time - including ride time on the bike. Yep, we're coming down on the bike again! Looking forward to that.

I hope I helped someone pass the days before their next trip! Heaven knows I read every trip report I could while we counted down the days!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Wow that is scary stuff glad your husband was okay. Julie thanks for your reports well done. We try to stay for at least 10 days. What kind of bike do you have?

PJ

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Glad your husband was ok.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Thanks for the great reports, love reading them.

I'd never be able to ride my bike all the way there, even if it weren't for the fact that it's usually still snowing here or in points between when we come, but because the 1500 miles of highway would have me a nervous wreck. Bad enough in a car. Maybe some day we will trailer them.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Yeah, it was pretty scary until we knew he was OK. No more Fireball in our house! We also shared that with our 21 year old daughter so she knows to turn it down if it's offered.

We have a 2003 Road King. We've taken it to KW and to Niagara Falls so far, in addition to shorter trips around home.

10 days sounds heavenly! We'll have 16 days off counting the weekends if we take 2 weeks off, and we've done the trip in 3 days. It was a little rushed for me, I prefer 4 days - but that would still give us 8 days there. That sounds good to me!

Philly
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Thanks for the info Julie...we are headed down on our Street Glides leaving in late March....wow right around Daytona, what a coincidence (haha)....and 4 nights in Key West, leaving from Philly area. Thanks so much for the Bar Card info, got them last month when they were Bogo! They sound like the best deal on the Island!

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

chorusgurrl, we drive as many back roads as possible. We don't like the interstates either. We went down via Ocracoke, that was nice - except for the 2 hour ferry ride. LOL! Once again, no land in sight and one bored wife. :)

We did back roads on the way down and it took 4 days of easy riding. We did more interstates on the way home and it only took 3 days. I'd rather have that extra day and avoid all interstates when possible!

By coming on the bike we'd have to do the next trip between March & May, unless we wanted to gamble with hurricane season in the fall. We did the summer last time and it was way too hot on the bike.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

nitetrain, your timing is excellent! :) We did 4 days in KW when we rode down last time and we agreed it wasn't enough! But enjoy the time you do have there.

Use those Bar Cards, they are SO worth it - even at full price! I'll get them again for our next trip. It was fun to try new places and it was a great excuse to visit SWB almost every day. :)

Hilton, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Enjoyed your reports.. especially the DQ Bingo!!! ...43 days and counting for our glorious 2 weeks in KW!! We''ll try to have as much fun as you all did!!!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

Thanks for sharing all the great information in your trip reports. Fireball is off my list. Scary stuff!! Glad your husband is ok.

southeast PA
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report for our 50th birthday group - day 7

sounds like an awesome trip Julie...except for the ER visit. ouch!

did you try Garbo's Grill at all? I don't think I read that anywhere on your reports, but you've probably been there on another visit. If not, oh well, you'll just have to add it to your next list. :)