We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

We are flying into key west much earlier than our travel companions. They booked the room, so we are unable to check into our hotel until 9 hours or so after we arrive in. I plan on just having a small backpack so luggage wont be an issue. Some ideas for us to kill time while we wait?

thanks in advance!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,582 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

Where is the room? With little luggage I think the obvious answer is to take a cab to Old Town and explore, have lunch, shop a little and get to know the area.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

Definitely check out theEast Martello Tower ( museum). It's right near the airport and is one of my favorite spots for Key West history and art.

www.kwahs.org/visit/fort-east-martello/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
209 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

Listen to PJK. He knows. The island isn't that big.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

With 9 hours, you can drive up to Marathon, walk the old 7 mile bridge, sign the petition to save the bridge, and drive back down to Key West, with PLENTY of time to spare.

Call your hotel now and ask if you can drop your bags off while you explore the island.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 06:02
Scranton...
Level Contributor
32 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

Depending on where you are staying, you may be able to leave your luggage at the front desk and do some exploring.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

East Martello is right out front of the airport. You could also get out on the water for a 1/2 day excursion & then jump over to the Sunset Tiki bar & grab a couple drinks & food & just watch the boats go by. With 9 hours you could do just about anything on the island.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

Snatchers Beach would be an easy walk. Restrooms and food stands are available. As mentioned East Martello is right in front of the airport, currently under construction, still able to enter, but not a very quiet visit! Also on the Hyatt grounds, but opened to the public is Abbey Road Snack Shack, drinks and food. In the airport you may want to visit the Conch Flyer, a lot of KW memorabilia there.

BUT, Nine hours seems like an awful long time to just hang out in that area. I'd also suggest scouting out the area that you'll be staying in. Maybe grab a cab or the city bus and venture out. Many local maps are available at the airport.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

I think djad wanted to say Smathers Beach (spell check?). : )

The suggestion of checking out the area where you are staying would work for me.

PJ

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

I'm another one for heading over to where you will be staying, ditch the luggage and strike off on our own. Lunch, a few drinks, explore, sounds like a great time waiting for friends....and they will be jealous when they get there.

Buster

Hoosick Falls, New...
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in KW, what to do around the airport.

9 hours to kill? Lol, on my first trip there I had 9 hours total! No matter what you do, you will love it :)