We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys Trip - A Few Thoughts

Minot, ND
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Can honestly say that our first trip to the Florida Keys/Key West Jan 30-Feb2 was absolutely great. Our adventure allowed us to experience places, people, food & a part of this country that we’d never seen before, & can’t wait to relive it again. A few comments:

- The drive up and back is a good part of the experience and would highly recommend it

- Downloaded the Tripadvisor app, worked great and linked up with maps to helped us find all kinds of places (used it while walking)

- Recommended to eat; Hogfish Bar & Grill, Turtle Kraals, Paseo Restaurant & Lobo's Mixed Grill

- Enjoyed meeting people at all the places we went to (too many to mention), staff was friendly and the people we were great

- Would highly recommend Santa Maria Suites

- If you run, walk or bike would recommend jumping on the Overseas Trail in Key West, & Old 7 Mile Bridge out to Pidgin Key in Marathon

- Buy a pair of Kino sandals, handmaid, only $16 and they’ll last for ever

- Play the coin toss fish game at Captain Tony’s

- Boogie on the gravel dance floor at Schooner Warf

- Go to the turtle races at Turtle Kraals

- On the drive there and back stop at; Jimmy Johnson's Big Chill in Key Largo, Holliday Isle Tiki Bar & Lorelei Cabana Bar both in Islamorada & Sunset Grill & Tiki Bar in Marathon (next to 7 mile bridge)

PS. Want to thank all those who posted the hundreds of comments/recommendations I read for months leading up to our trip.

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

thanks for the TR and glad you had a great time. hope you make it back soon :)

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Great thoughts, thanks for posting.

PJ

Minot, ND
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Forgot:

- Have a Hogfish sandwich at Hogfish Bar & Grill

- Order the roasted corn at Paseo Restaurant

florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

I agree, as a Floridian, the trip is best commenced on the road. The decompression is priceless. Starting with the blue wall at Key Largo. Loved what you shared. Let me add a few other stops. Choose for your trip down or back as you will: Alabama Jack's on Card Sound, MileMarker 84 at . . .Surprise MM84, Sparky's at 400 Sadowski in Marathon MM 50ish, No Name Pub at MM 30ish, Boondocks at MM 27.5, Mangrove Mamas at MM 20. I am sure others can add more but by the time I get 30 miles out my soul is calling for a piece of the rock. Enjoy!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

I always think trip reports from "newbies" are the best. They re-inforce the things that a lot of people enjoy and which made their own first trip such a pleasure and which brings them back year after year.

Pjk

conn
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Great to hear you enjoyed the keys. You found what many have and keeps us coming back.

Minot, ND
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Sooo many places, hope to visit them all in future trips. Will add a couple new ones each visit, cause don't think we'd get there if we stopped at all of them.

Thanks for the recommendations....

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,539 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

I always think trip reports from "newbies" are the best. They re-inforce the things that a lot of people enjoy and which made their own first trip such a pleasure and which brings them back year after year.

Pjk

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Glad to hear you are planning more trips!!! Sounds like you had a great time; you sure did a ton of stuff in a short visit.

Maybe a few more days next time??!

Thanks for sharing.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Keys Trip – A Few Thoughts

Littlesureshot hit some of my favorite places on the way down! The conch fritters at Alabama Jack's are great and I'm not a fritter fanatic. To add to that, if you have fallen in love with Key West and the Florida Keys, keep a little of the Keys in your mp3 player or phone with Howard Livingston and the Mile Market 24 band. Howie is a relativity recent transplant since 2005 and is astonished at his musical success here. http://www.milemarker24.com/ I bring it up because some other places littlesureshot mentioned are sung about in some of his songs....Mangrove Mama's, Boondocks and another one, Looki Tiki Bar. In any case, we'll keep the weather warm and the drinks cold until your next trip!