We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day RC Cruise Port

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
One Day RC Cruise Port

I'll be there on a cruise stop with my husband and teen sons (19 & 16) mid July. Are there any must sees in Key West? I haven't been to Key West in 40 years and only remember how blue the water was. We like snorkeling, the beach, lighthouses, shelling, water activities, kayaking, etc. I like to take a lot of pictures while I am on vacation so looking for some beautiful places as well. Is Key West easy to get around? Any other transportation options other than the hop on/hop off? Thanks for any tips.

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

You can combine snorkeling & kayaking into one trip on Clearly Unique. You will kayak around/through one of the mangrove islands in a clear kayak & snorkel part of the reef. We have taken this a couple times & will be doing it again in 5 weeks.

www.clearlyunique.com

For swimming, snorkeling, & shell hunting I would go to Fort Zach. You can rent snorkel gear right on the beach. Also while there you can tour the fort, its pretty cool.

A couple blocks from the Southernmost Point is Key Wests lighthouse.

For pictures...you can walk or bike Old Town. There are so many beautiful parts of the island that are best seen on foot.

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
484 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

Why not take one of the hop/on, hop/off trolley tours to start? You can get the lay of the land, take some great pictures, see some awesome parts of Key West and decide where you'd like to spend the rest of your time.

You can walk just about everywhere, or grab bikes or scooters.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

Can I take the hop on hop off without doing it through the cruise line? It would probably be cheaper.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,938 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/

you can buy tickets online before you go

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

Great, thanks for the info.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

I take a lot of cruises, and in some ports I use the ship excursions, in other ports I do not. I also spend a lot of time in Key West, and I personally wouldn't purchase a ship excursion for Key West. Just about anything you want to do you can do yourself either ahead of time by contacting the company direct, or you can basically just walk up and purchase tickets. July is off-season in Key West so you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

What time do you arrive into KW and when do you leave? This will help eliminate things you cannot fit into the time you will be in KW.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

I am also going to be in Key West with Carnival on April 26th. We would love to find the best snorkeling- suggestions for private snorkeling tours? Only in port 7am-2pm. Thanks!

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

We come in at 10am and leave at 6:00pm.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,599 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day RC Cruise Port

A couple of things.

There are two places to snorkel out of Key West; The reef which is approx 7 miles due south and in the Sanctuary. There are good places at each of these locations - Sand or Rock Key at the former and Cottrell Key in the latter. Some private charters can go to either because the boat has enough range or because it doesn't draw too much water to get into the Sanctuary.

So, for a private charter that can go out to the reef, Breezin' Charters

http://breezincharters.com/

Captain Dees is a friend of mine and we went out last may and had a great time. A four hour sail and snorkel at Sand Key with no rush to get back.

But there is also the JavaCat and the Echo which will do private charters, and these boats can get into the Sanctuary, and the added attraction is that you would be able to kayak using one of these boats.

JavaCat ---> http://keywestecotours.com/

Echo II ---> http://www.dolphinecho.com/

A private charter is good for one-day cruisers since there is more flexibility with departure and return times.

Pjk