We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying In

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying In

I have a turbo prop flight from FT Lauderdale into KW. It worked out good for me last year, although I must admit the small turbo prop planes make me a bit nervous! <grin>

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying In

My wife can stand them....most so when going thru a storm. We were on a 19 seat Saab prop plane (I think) and the Capt. left the little curtain open so everyone could see out the front window. It was really wild when we were landing because you could then see how much the plane actually turns side to side when you're looking at the straight runway. A couple of time we got pushed so hard from the wind that we actually lost sight of the run way for a moment or two.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying In

I love flying in on those, although I haven't done so (just didn't happen) in over a year. Fun fun! Really gets you in the KW mood. They left the curtain open a few times when I used to come down visiting. It was awesome! It's really nice if you're flying in around sunset and can see the beautiful colors of the sky and the action on Mallory Square.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying In

One of my co-workers reminded me that the type of plane I'm flying in is the same model that recently crashed in NC due to over loading and shifting of luggage.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,645 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying In

NIIIIIICE

They're just jealous.

Brantford
Level Contributor
298 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying In

I flew into Key West on one of these a few years ago -- during a storm no less. The Capt. had the little curtain open and was making calculations on the windshield with a grease pencil. He then announced , "Okay folks, we're going to attempt a landing."

Attempt?????? (Quick! Ssomeone hand me the tequilla!)

Noooo. . . not my favorite form of transportation by by a long shot!

But better than staying home.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying In

Last year on the way home from KW there was a big storm. The airport was closed for almost four hours due to the storm (first day of tropical storm season). My small plane finally took off and it was the first time I was ever nervous on an airplane. I'll think of this as part of my travel adventure!!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying In

Think about it...

Attempt a landing?

Final approach??

Going to the Terminal??!!??

Do damn many coincedental words associated with flying... Takes it well beyond Fruedian slips!

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying In

On the way to get married in 2003, we were bumped to Cape Air (Cape Fear). Having no idea what it meant to offer my weight to the tiny front desk, I just kind of laughed off the boarding pass that said; "1" on it. Upon walking up to the little 6 seater plane, I decided that "hell NO" would be my response to my pre-wedding airtline mishap. The soon-to-be-hubby put his foot down and said it would be a "journey".

Well I never looked out the window (deciding already that we were all doomed because I exaggerated my weight by 20lbs., ) my husband (always needing dramimine) thought it was the coolest thing ever.

After landing, I stated that I was so glad that no one on the flight was a rock star. My husband is still weepy that that is obviously true...

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying In

Ha ha - the boy lived in St. Croix a few years ago and flew Cape Air all the time to the other islands around there. He never gets nervous, but said it was certainly an experience. "Oh it makes that noise all the time." "I wonder if we have any duct tape to fix that?"

When we do eventually move back down to that area of the world, that's going to basically be our only choice. I am not scared of flying, but I hate turbulence. My hands start sweating uncontrollably. I guess I'll have to get used to it!

10. Re: Flying In

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 02:17