We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

My husband and I are planning a two-night camping trip to the Dry Tortugas in March. Our flight arrives in Key West at 9:30pm on a Friday night, and we need to check in at the ferry terminal at 6:30 the next morning. We will bring all supplies that we cannot buy, but we want to plan ahead and keep baggage to a minimum due to all the fees involved.

We know that Winn Dixie and CVS are both open 24hrs, which is wonderful because we can get a taxi from the airport to our hotel, check in, and then taxi to do our shopping, without having to rush. My question is if anyone has experience shopping at either of these stores and if you would know off-hand if they carry anything as far as coolers, storage bins, or charcoal briquettes.

We intend on calling the stores for information before we leave, but I thought that I would ask here as I find that fellow travellers often offer insightful information!

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

Yes both of the stores mentioned carry those items. CVS has a website that you can check their inventory, but to be honest it reminds me of every other CVS I've been in. There's also a Sears and Kmart in town, but I'm not sure of the hours.

Try and post a camping trip report when you return!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

yes! Please let us know how it goes.

I would love to do that camping trip to Ft. Jefferson, but getting together all that camping equipment...

You'd think Yankee Freedom would offer a camping package...

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

Have fun on your camping trip. I love camping out there whenever I get a chance. I will give you a few heads up. Once they release you to go claim a camping site you want to go grab #5 if it is available. It is the best place to put your tent. Great view of sunset from your "front yard". Also, you can not take enough liquor. Not a good place to run out. Experience talking. And.. take a good book. The weather may not always be ideal for snorkeling and you can only walk around the fort so many times :) A good book will come in handy.

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

I really hope this works out for you, but if I was planning such an adventure, I would have put it in the middle, or at the end, of a visit to Key West. If you miss your flight in, or if it is delayed/cancelled, you'll miss the ferry connection, and have to find last minute lodgings in Key West during a very busy/expensive time of year.

Please let us us know how this goes - again, I really hope you are able to touch all the bases and camp out in the Tortugas, but you have, probably unintentionally, rolled the dice on this one.

Salud, and bon chance.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

Thanks for the tips!! Will let you know how it goes... can't wait!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

Also, for future reference to anyone with the same questions... we called Winn Dixie last week and they said they carry all kinds of coolers -- good news!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

We didn't have any choice over the days we chose for camping as we took the only two days where the boat had room for us! Anyway, I think it will work out, and at least we have all night to get there if the flight is delayed on the way there.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

Have a great time!

9. Re: Late Night Groceries & Camping Supplies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:18