We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Anyone do a diet/excercise thing before they go to the keys? I am trying one and I just really want to look cute before I go down and go crazy with the food and the drinks, not to mention looking good in a bathing suit. What do you all do?

Lafayette, IN
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Yep, I'm just getting ready to go work out on my recumbant bike and elliptical right now as a matter of fact! Eating is a big part of our vacations (which are usually at Disney World a few times a year). I am always extra "good" a few months before we go in preparation of all the eating we'll be doing. I'm hoping that since we won't have a car in KW in July and will be walking a lot, that I won't gain too much weight. Good luck to you !

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

OK DZNY, I am not the only one, so I don't feel so bad, however I guess I need to work out now too! ;) LOL Thanks for the reminder, positive nudge!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

The best way to lose weight and keep it off requires a life style change involving the following:

Reduce carbohydrate intake. Reduce sugar intake. Walk regularly - 10 minutes 6 days a week is better than 1 hour once a week.

And remember a 16 oz can of regular soda has 17 teaspoons of sugar. To burn off the calories in a burger requires brisk walking for 9 miles. How often do people eat not just the burger and soda, but also LARGE fries. Brisk = 3.5 mph.

If you don't burn off the sugar in the soda or in anything else, it turns to fat.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

I work out at the gym, and ride bikes all year long, but I've worked especially hard to keep the weight off and eat low carb all year for my trip to KW this coming Tuesday!!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Well I usually do low carb. but not true low carb. I eat all the fruits and veggies I want.

I try and cut out pasta, bread, and type of fried food, potatos, beer, and drink low carb liquor only. I also cut down on chips and salsa and stuff like that. No rice.

More importantly. Go to gym. I go and walk up hill for an hour on a tredmil while I watch a soap, study for a test, or watch the news... that way i am getting in my mind numing tube time but also... i am working out insted of sitting around.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Thanks so much to all of the ladies for the informative and inspirational tips. I plan on exercising my way to Key West. Any other tips?

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
423 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Pan,

what are you hoping to change? just weight or certain areas?

I was on a great path and lost 65 lbs...

unfortunately I lost focus after some major life changes and gained half back;

however, I am back on track again.

Are there certain areas youre hoping to tone or lose? Or are you looking for overall weight loss. Everytime I have set a goal to lose lbs before an event it has never happened.

The only time I lose weight is when I set realistic daily goals of living and eating healthier. I could never do the no carbs thing or drastic diets. What works for me is portion control, and eating plenty of fruits and vegetables. I make a point to eat the fruits and vegetables at certain times of day and Im not hungry enough to eat a big meal. If I dont get to do that, when I sit down to a meal, I make sure at least half of my plate is filled with vegetable, then 1/4 protein, & maybe 1/4 carb.

Food is only one aspect. If I dont workout, nothing changes, maybe a lil weightloss but nothing noticeable. I have to exercise at least 4 times a week. One of the biggest things that made achange for me was adding strength training. With muscle you burn more calories!

Try to remember not to just want to look good in Key West, but to look and feel better for your life!

I was really upset about going to Key West and not fitting into my cute much smaller summer clothes from last year. I really let it get me down, and I found that it was more self defeating than helpful.

Dont beat yourself up if youre not perfect for Key West, and in skimpy clothes. Be positive!

You're going to be in Key West, you'll have a kick but time no matter what you are wearing! I certainly did. :D

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

My diet consists of actually going to KW. The 4 miles of walking every day and sweating and smaller food intake, along with entrering numerous seafood intake into your system (don't mean to be crued, but others will agree on the "loss" of bodily fluid due to "new" food" ) should make you drop a few pounds.

As soon as your system adjusts to the surroundings, you'll just be happy to be there. And no one will care what you weigh. Went through the new "tennis regime" that we did every night for two weeks before we left. Stopped carbs for a week behind my husband's back (has a degree in nutrition-yes there is one) and lost 10lbs. Was completely a different human.

Enter KW. Only a select few 20+ beauties are to be seen. No one cares. Just be you and have fun. It's not South Beach, and once you're there, you will really understand that it's about your personality, not your pant size. Everyone will welcome you with open arms.

So eat your dang potatoes, have a pepsi, and just be glad that you are fortunate enough to actually be able to go to the island...

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Remove the word "diet" from your vocab. Call it a lifestyle change. It is very difficult to eat healthy in the USA. Use the 80-20 rule. 80 percent of the time you stick to healthy stuff. The other 20 you indulge a little.

If you must eat a burger, throw away the bun or start with half the bun. Use whole "grain" bread, not whole wheat. For those with a Costco store, they have a delicious 8 grain onion bagel.

At home use a smaller plate - the serving will look like more.

For those who want something to curb their appetite I can recommend Hoodia 24 by Vita Logic. Hoodia has been around for about a year now. Just about everyone is making it but the one by Vita Logic is best.

Enjoy Key West

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else do this? (ladies!?!)

Thanks for all of the positive feedback Cantwait, Deanrae, and Chuts. Really I am just looking to curb the bad habits of eating wrong at work, and introducing some excersise for health reasons and am basically using my vacation as a motivation. I refuse to be down no matter what the end result is. Either way I will enjoy my vacation, how can I not, I will be in Key West!!! :)

Thanks again and I really enjoy reading all of your informative and funny posts!!