We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
109 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

Hi all!

Will be driving down to key West from Miami. My girlfriend and I are trying to wrap our heads around the "must see" and do at the keys.

We're staying at the Southernmost on the Beach.

I'll try to explain our trip as a whole so you guys get an understanding.

Coming from Norway (Scandinavia - Europe) we plan to arrive in San Francisco 1st of May. Then drive around California and Nevada before flying to Florida on 15th of May.

Our itinerary is as follows in Florida:

15th of May - Arriving with airplane from Las Vegas in Miami

16th of May - Driving down to Key West

17th of May - Spending the full day at Key West

18th of May - Driving to Fort Lauderdale

19th of May - Getting on Allure of the Seas cruise

We plan to arrive with our rental car around 3pm at Key West on the 16th. Then have the full day on the 17th (Norway's national day) and then head out around noon on the 18th.

We will be very grateful for all input!

The only thing we really have looked up yet and want to do is to visit Kino Sandals.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
863 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

That's a lot of driving for 1 day in Key West.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

Because of your short visit, I would stay in old town. At the top of the page click on "Things to Do" see what you like and ask more questions.

PJ

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

We have been to Key West and enjoyed it and we are going back in april but we found lodging in Key West very expensive so we're considering to stay north of it now. Are you delivering the car in Miami or in Fort Lauderdale? As we're going on a cruise also we pick up and drop off the car in Miami a/p and take a taxi between Miami and FL.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

Your plan sounds very good, as the drive is an adventure by itself and a full day/night in Key West will be much better than a few hour visit.

With only one day/night, you might want to take a trolley tour to get an overview, and then see what looks interesting from there.

Other than Kino's, what are your interests?

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
109 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

@Ingram75: It sure is but like KeyWestSteps points out we're taking the extra drive just to experience the keys and "to have been there". This is not a part of our relaxation :-)

@PJ507: We have allready booked our hotel like I said in my opening post :-)

@Tet14: Good to know you had a good time, we're hoping for the same! We're picking up our car at Miami airport and delivering it at our hotel in Fort Lauderdale close to the port of the cruise ship.

@KeyWestSteps: I like your positive thinking! Our vacation in total is a lot of driving considering the driving in California and Nevada also and it will be no different in Florida. We've been two weeks in Orlando before so that's why we're rushing through. We get to relax some on the cruise I guess :-)

We might try arriving and departing a few hours sooner/later so we get about one and a half day at Key West.

The Kino Sandals part just sounded fun really to get flip flops custom made, that's why we put it on our "to do list".

Interests are everything that's fun, meaning thrills. Bet there are limited options like that at Key West so our second interest would be to experience and feel some of the local stuff. Get a feel about Key West and also have time for some of the "must see" things like the most southern point maybe.

Of couse explore Duval Street and I read I have to try some sort of pie :-)

Sorry I can't be more specific due to my lack of knowledge. Basically, everything worth seeing, be a part of, tasting etc. would be of interest :-)

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

You should have time to do a number of different things! Here's a possible "itinerary" for you:

In mid-May sunset will be around 8 and after a day of driving, a walk down Duval St seems a great way to start your visit. You'll see a lot of interesting places to eat and drink along the way, so check out a few spots where you might want to have dinner later, and stop in and have a drink wherever catches your eye along the way.

Make your way to Mallory Square by 7 or so to see the performers and artists at the Sunset Celebration.

After that, you could have dinner back at one of those spots on Duval, listen to music at any one of a number of places in town, or take a walk along the Harbor-walk, stopping in for drinks and dinner somewhere there.

The next morning, have a breakfast at the Southernmost Beach Cafe, just across the sand from your hotel. Then walk a block over to the Southernmost Point at the foot of Whitehead Street. If you aren't early risers, you might want to do that in reverse order, as it gets quite busy with passengers from cruise ships as the day goes on.

From the Southernmost point, walk down Whitehead St, which will take you past the Hemingway House, the Lighthouse and Museum, the Green Parrot Bar, Mile Marker 0 of US 1, the Kapok Tree, courthouse, Post Office, the edge of Truman Annex, and the Audobon House.

Here is where you can catch the trolley (I suggest Cityview with your schedule as its a bit shorter and a bit less $). After the trolley tour, head over to the Kino shop and after that, you should have a good idea of what else you'd like to explore, including the Harbor area if you haven't been yet.

Sorry this is so long, but thought it would give you a place to start, at least!

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
109 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

Thanks a lot! Really, this helps out :-)

I will print out your reply as a note and take it with me.

Just crossing my fingers that they are able to make sandals in that short amount of time :-)

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

As many times as I've been in Kino's, I've never heard of anyone ordering custom-made sandals. They're all handmade (and I own several pairs), but I've always had the impression that what they have ready on any given day is what they'll sell. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding. They don't always have the same styles, which is why I have to go there several times a year. ;)

Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

We will be in Key West at the same time!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: First time at Key West - 16 and 17th of May

I agree with Ingram that it's a lot of driving, but then again, I once spent 8 hours on a boat just so I could spend FOUR hours in Key West! :)

Tracey

www.traceyg.travellerspoint.com