We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect weather/temp wise?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to expect weather/temp wise?

I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for when I search. My husband and I arrive in Key West on 3/17 and leave 3/22. We've never been to KW before. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to pack. Do I pack summer clothes and swim suits and expect to spend lots of time poolside, or is March still too chilly for this?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

weather.com/weather/right-now/USFL0244:1:US

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Key West is usually warm enought for summer clothes all year round with maybe a need for a sweater and pants at night (during the winter time). That said they just had a cool spell. This Thursday it is predicted to have a high temp of 69 (rather cool for KW) (with a low of 61), but 76 for a high on Saturday.

I would be ready to pack either way, and check the weather a day or two before you depart and pack based on that.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 18:53
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,418 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Mis-packing is a great excuse for a logo souvenir or two.

Pjk

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Check the weather a few days before you leave for any surprises.

PJ

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

It depends on where you're from I guess as to what you consider swimming weather. One year I went to Las Vegas in October and my friend who lived there said, oh it's much too cold to swim here in October. But it sure felt warm to me on several of the days there and would have jumped in the pool if I had brought my swimsuit. I see the same on the Keys forums with locals saying it would be too cold for them to swim.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Its been a little chilly down here since the 1st but then temps should be better when you get here.

Buster

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Thanks, everyone. I am from central Oklahoma, so I'm used to pretty mild weather most of the time. Although, it is cold here now. I would consider 80's warm enough to swim.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Pack your swim suit. Even if you don't go in the the water, you can sit on the beach or around the pool. You'll want summer clothes, and a sweater to throw on at night if it gets chilly. Maybe wear some long pants on the plane that you could also wear in Key West. Several light layers always works, and it's going to be beautiful for your vacation :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

you're not packing right NOW, are you???

When you DO pack for your trip, like maybe on the 15th or 16th, check the weather forecast. If you see any night time temps dipping into the 60's then yes, you'll need to pack some clothes that normally don't get worn down in KW. Like a sweater or long pants.

There's no accurate forecast this far away, but by 2 days before they usually will know if a front is coming.

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to expect weather/temp wise?

Women start packing weeks ahead, at least mentally if not physically, didn't you know?