We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Reach vs. Casa Marina

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
The Reach vs. Casa Marina

My wife and I are planning a first time trip to Key West in August. I am currently considering Pier House, Casa Marina, and The Reach. I noticed that the Reach and Casa Marina are both Waldorf properties (and fairly close to each other). Is one recommended over the other? Any other suggestions for accommodations? I'd like to stay near Old Town. We also would like a beach. We also want a full service hotel (restaurant, bar, etc.).

On a somewhat unrelated note, is there any reason to pack pants? I'm hoping shorts and a t-shirt work everywhere.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

I would also suggest that you look at the Hyatt Resort (the hotel on 601 Front Street and not one of their timeshare properties) and also at the Southernmost on the Beach. The beach at the Hyatt is very small.

There are a lot of comments about the Casa Marina and the Reach, while they are very nice, they shouldn't call themselves a Waldorf Astoria as they are not up to Waldorf Astoria standards.

I have stayed at the Reach and the Hyatt and prefered the Hyatt.

As far as pants - in August you really should not need them, but I always tell people to wear pants on the airplane so this could be your one pair of pants. You can go pretty much anywhere in shorts and a t-shirt. Heck you could get fancy and bring a polo shirt along.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 19:26
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

Thanks for the comment about the Hyatt. That's now on my list. I'm leaning towards Hyatt and Pier House.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,740 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

The Pier House has a nicer beach and a deeper pool.

FWIW

Pjk

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

My husband and I always stay at the Casa Marina and we absolutely love it! We cannot say enough good things about it. There are two large pools and a nice beach area. The rooms are nicely appointed and the location is fabulous! We always have a rental car and rent bikes for the week and bike to breakfast and lunch spots around the island! We have tried the Reach as well and while it is a great resort too, we favor the Casa Marina!! We won't stay anywhere else!!!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

Thanks all for the advice. You're making it hard to choose.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,546 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

The Hyatt (and Pier House) are perfectly located as far as having so many bars and restaurants just steps away. Both properties are very nice. If you don't mind being a little farther away from the action, Casa Marina would be my first choice. The beach is nicer there and the grounds and hotel are absolutely beautiful. I'm always quick to say I like to be closer to the other end of Duval, but I fell head over heels in love with Casa Marina during our stay there last month. I think it just comes down to what's more important to you.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,706 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

I also would recommend the Casa Marina over the Reach and definitely over the Hyatt and Pier House if you're looking for a great beach. And the 2 pools are better too.

But it is the opposite when it comes to location and being close to the "action", which is just a short walk out the front door of the Hyatt or the Pier House.

Look at all these properties on Google Earth. Here on TA they no longer have real photos from space, which I wish they'd change.

And it will be so hot in August that the only pants you'll need are the ones you'll wear on the plane. And that's not on the puddle jumper, American Eagle plane from Miami, as they have very weak A/C and the plane gets very hot when you are sitting on the tarmac.

8. Re: The Reach vs. Casa Marina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:18