We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

First off, Hi I'm new here. *waves* I've been lurking on the boards for the past few weeks now. As well as any other Key West website I can find. Most information here I like because it's all personal, as in I know that someone is talking to me vs. I'm reading this information from a book or website over a decade old.

Anywho, long story short. My fiance and I are going to be in Key West for our honeymoon (yay) from June 20th-July 20th (yes, a month--yay for teachers summers). And while I have a lot of information on what to see and do, where to eat and all that jazz I'm looking and hopeful for the following information:

Bugs? Can I expect to be needing a ton of bug spray? I already know lizards are about the place, I'm not too bothered by those--but it would be nice to know about the bug situation.

Weather, is kind of a stupid question--but I know it's going to be hot/humid, don't care. What I'm curious about is the rain, I remember ages ago being in Flordia and it always seemed to rain every afternoon, so my curiosity is asking can you kind of go "Well yeah, it normally rains during x time of day." or something like that. Sorry, I know I sound like a crazy person and this is stuff that really doesn't matter, buuuut I'm just a curious person and I like knowing.

Also, any other general things that you can think of that might not be noted on other sites/blogs about anything, from your own personal hidden gem, to a brand of cheese they have. Or something. I don't know.

Yay I sound crazy! Thanks for any/all help.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Waving back.

It'll rain somewhere sometime almost every day. Maybe not 100 yards from you, but there'll be rain. Quick ones. By the time you get your stuff put away, it'll be done.

Bugs? I've never had a problem with them. Stay out of the mangroves and you'll be fine.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

I've been in Key West in May and July and never noticed it rain anywhere near a certain time of day or night. You might get a scattered shower which hits Key West in the morning or afternoon, but for me it is rare that it's not come, gone and forgotten. You might also not get any rain at all for a week, but it'll rain somewhere there during a month.

But for an entire month, do you have anythings you'd like to accomplish? Visit other keys? Learn to scuba? Literary aspirations?

Pjk

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Yes, there are bugs in the Keys. No, we didn't really notice them in Key West. They do a good job of controlling them in the town. If you go out into the mangroves you may find them. On one day of one trip they were fierce. The rest of the time we didn't get bitten.

Rain. Yes it does and it can be a downpour at times but the showers usually are fairly small and the Keys themselves are a small target. It isn't like some of the mainland where it seem like every day it rains. Hit and miss. Rain on one side of the street and not the other kind of rain unless a tropical storm system comes through.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Rain. Well, yes...and no. I've never had it rain every day when I've been in Key West at any time of year. Sometimes in the summer it will very politely rain all, or part of, the night, and be beautiful all day. It's not like other places in FL where it really does rain every day. Having said that, it does rain from time to time, LOL. In other words, luck of the draw, like many other places.

Bugs. Yes. I am a mosquito magnet, and I wear bug spray all day, every day. The mosquitos are an unfriendly fact of life (or friendly, as the case may be). Some folks aren't bothered by them, but I really am. Shop around for spray that is light and nonsmelly, if you think you will need it like I do. I tuck the Off towelettes in every pocket I have. If I forget, I go back for it. I have gotten as many as 13 bites at dinner. Summer is, of course, worse than winter, as the humidity is higher and winds lighter.

You already know it will be hot. Really hot. Prepare for that - bicycling is cooler than walking. We rent bikes for our entire stay and use them to get everywhere that is further than a block or so.

You will get a lot of replies here, so I'll shut up now and maybe chime in later.

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Welcome! We haven't had a problem with bugs, but if you are around low thick brush with no wind they can get unfriendly.

Other things, hope the place you are staying has a pool.

PJ

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Oh we plan on doing a lot of visiting to other keys and places, as well as a lot of relaxing too! We both also have our literary inspirations so that's another reason to hole up for an entire month! I'm more excited for the honeymoon than the wedding! Even putting more planning into it actually, lol.

Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
619 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

*Waving!* The only thing I would add to the above is that you consider getting trip insurance. June 1 is the start of hurricane season. We have a timeshare the second week of June and have never encountered a hurricane, but it couldn't hurt seeing you will be there a month.

The bugs never really bothered me, but I always keep a little purse-size spray bottle of bug spray just in case I run into some unfriendly critters. Only had to use it a couple of times over several years.

Welcome to TA and we look forward to answering more questions. :-)

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

Bug spray towelletes? That's a genius idea! Will have to look more into that. See this is where I was getting conflicting information on, mosquito's.

And we intend to bike a lot, so this is good news as well, thank you!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

more excited for the honeymoon than the wedding!

Well DUH. :-)

Denver, Colorado...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs, Weather, and General Help needed for summer travel.

We have been back and forth on trip insurance, but thank you for the advice. The more we hear, the more we're leaning towards it! Thank you!