We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

My husband and I (mid-30's) are going on a much needed trip in May. I have never been to Key West and it sounds great but I am a little concerned it will be a little touristy/chainy. I don't mind busier but like something that feels a little nicer and authentic. Not sure what area to go to. We don't want to feel isolated like the reviews of the Marriott but also don't want to be right in crazy central. Also, we like great (healthy) food and well made fruity cocktails for the mister. I will probably want to take a long walk in the am after a great hotel breakfast and then sit in the pool with a book all day and then shower and go to a nice/casual seafood dinner and hear some mellow music at a bar.

We love traveling and would be going out of the country but I will be 6 months prego and don't want to chance not being closer to home. We are leaving our 1 year old at home. We would love to spend under $350 a night if possible!! I will try to describe what we are looking for:

- good food

-relaxed

- quaint

- higher end

-nice pool (bar service at pool with those great fruity drinks :)

- couple oriented/not as many families

- not have people getting totally drunk out of their mind/smoking in pool all day all though my husband will be enjoying some fruity cocktails. I am pregnant so just fruit for me!

-on beach

-easy to walk to places

- quaint area with charm - not chainy restaurants and area

Thanks so much!!!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

The Gardens Hotel has everything you're looking for with the exception of the beach. Its located in the middle of town but is very quiet, with lush grounds and lovely amenities.

The Casa Marina and The Reach (branded as Waldorf Astoria properties)also fit the bill, but will tend to have more families/kids, both of them are directly on the water.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

The Casa Marina meets almost all of your needs, except the easy walking to places part.You may need a bicycle or moped.They do welcome families, but you can ask the hotel what times of the year they experience less family travel.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 16:09
Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

woops , you did say May :)

Most kids are still in school? (I don't have any-so I don't know the schedule of breaks etc)

Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

Casa Marina looks great! Thanks. I don't mind not being that close to town as long as there is enough to keep us busy at the hotel :). I would prefer to not be at a chain hotel but if it fits the bill, I am ok with it :). Thanks again! Rebecca

Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

good call! you are right - probably still in school. mine isn't there yet!

Edited: 04 April 2013, 16:37
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
10,259 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

the Marquesa Hotel would another great option if you don't mind not being on The Ocean. It is a beautiful property with a great location and one of my favorite restaurants in town.

Ohio
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

I'm going to second The Gardens Hotel. Your close enough to Duval St. which is where most of the bars and shops are but when you step into their secluded area it's quiet and relaxing.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

The Casa Marina area is really nice and the hotel would be my pick for what you are looking for. The grounds are gorgeous, and there is a cute little bar and restaurant right on the beach. You are also close to Louie's Backyard, which is a perfect spot to relax for lunch or an evening drink while listening to the lapping waves. There is also upstairs at Louie's or an upper end nightly dining experience on the deck. You also have other nice restaurants that you could walk to at that end of town. If you can't ride a bike, then taking a cab for longer trips is easy and inexpensive. Enjoy!!!

Dallas,Texas
Level Contributor
294 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

Another vote for The Gardens. Beautiful grounds and would be considered high end.

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Perfect KW Area & Hotel for Relaxation, Quaint

I will offer my opinion on this.

Since you will be 6 months pregnant, I would recommend a hotel closer to the action to minimize the amount of walking you will do (you will still walk plenty). I also say this because it will be warmer and much more humid than the Chicago weather you are coming from, and walking around may cause you (and your hubby) to get hot and sweaty (something I do not like myself).

I have stayed at the Hyatt (the hotel and resort on Front Street vs. one of the Hyatt timeshares on the island), and felt like it was far enough away from the action you can get a good night’s sleep while it is close to Duval street and the marina. The Hyatt has a decent breakfast, and one morning we watched a Manatee swim by while we were eating breakfast. Breakfast is a great meal to eat out in KW, and there are several threads on this forum on Breakfast. The Hyatt’s pool area is also quite nice (a tad small), but the beach area is quite small. I know the Pier House is also highly recommended and it is right by the Hyatt.

I have also stayed at The Reach (a sister property to the Casa Marina), and while it is nice I would not say it is up to Waldorf Astoria standards (the Casa Marina gets this same comments said about it too). They are both nice places and have their pluses, but not perfect.

I have used hotel points to stay at the places that I have been to, so I have not had to pay for a room in KW. If I had to pay for a room, I would look at the Marquesa first and then at Bed and Breakfast type places. I don’t like the chain type places, but free trumps my dislike of chains!