We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature Trails

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
343 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nature Trails

Does anyone know if there are any nature trails or "hiking" areas south of Marathon? It seems like I heard there was some kind of trail system on Big Pine. Thanks in advance.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature Trails

You might be thinking of the Glenn Evans Nature Trail, and I've attached a link for you. However, there are also nice walking trails at Bahia Honda State Park as well, and the view is beautiful. Hope this helps a little.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34085-s4/Big-Pine-Ke…

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature Trails

There are a couple of trails on Big Pine Key, but they are fairly small loops. We walked a little bit on them last year to look for Key Deer, but since it was middle of the day and super warm outside we did not see any key deer. Also, the area where we were the trails are looked to have had a recent fire, so the trails were not too exciting - not sure how the trails are now.

www.fws.gov/nationalkeydeer/national_map.html

Edited: 04 April 2013, 19:53
In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature Trails

While not a hiking trail, The Key West Botanical Garden on Stock Island is a nice area to enjoy a natural setting with many native and non-native plants. It's set on 55 acres with ponds, paths, and trails throughout the garden. We have seen many different birds and other wildlife during our visits.

Admission is either $5 or $7 (I can't remember.) A very easy, relaxing way to spend a few hours.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature Trails

Any chance of encountering alligators on these walks!?

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nature Trails

For alligators , check out the Blue Hole in Big Pine.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nature Trails

I actually would like to avoid any alligators in my walking path ... LOL

But I appreciate the info... I'd not heard of this place & it sounds like you are on a raised walkway of some kind? Is that correct?

I guess my other concern is snakes !!! I hope I don't encounter any snakes in the wild!!!!

7. Re: Nature Trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 05:16