We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

OK, OK, so ghosts don't REALLY exist (or do they?). But I am curious if you have a first-handed (100%-happened-to-you) Key West ghostly encounter. I have one involving Hemingway from July 2011 (and I was a total non-believer till then).

And, I am interested to know if you've see Robert The Doll---if so, did you take his picture? Did he blackout the picture? What are your thoughts about Robert?

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
726 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

Also, please note how many 'drinks in' you were upon seeing the ghost.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,570 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

I had breakfast with Frank the Magician once at the Schooner Wharf Bar, and, what a guy, he made the check disappear! No lie.

Pjk

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

Robert The Doll???

Is he Chucky's brother?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,570 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

He, She, It, even has a web page ---> http://www.robertthedoll.org/

Pjk

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

Chucky is based on Robert The Doll; ...As for my encounter with Hemingway, during that Key West trip, I was only drinking cranberry juice (I was on the wagon, as they say, during that time in my life; no booze involved).

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

The stories about Robert are true...except for the one where the drunk lady beat up her boyfriend, got arrested, & blamed Robert.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

Is Robert as cuddly as Chucky? He's def not as famous...never heard of him

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

Google Robert The Doll for tons of links and his background (plus some pictures). I just heard about him this past week (here on TripAdvisor).

I was never a believer in the supernatural or the spirit world until my trip to Hemingway House in 2011. Like most of you, I had heard about ghostly encounters from my mom or grandmother or an aunt (even had a minister brother-in-law who performed exorcisms), but never really took them seriously. I never really believed in anything other than "right here, right now"; I assumed that all their ghostly stories were the products of "old people with overactive imaginations" (except for the minister brother-in-law; his encounters/exorcisms were witnessed). But, you must realize that the spirit or ghost (or whatever you want to call it) attaches itself to people who no one will believe---if a child tells you that he/she saw "something" walking in the bedroom last night or heard something giggle under the bed, you wouldn't believe it. If a child told you he/she can talk with his/her doll, you wouldn't believe it. If grandma told you about an encounter with a ghost that took place decades, you would assume she is just getting old and confused.

I never, ever believed in "the great beyond"...until my encounter with Hemingway in 2011---and I was stone cold sober. And I don't expect the majority of people to believe me...so I keep it a secret (sharing it only with a couple of people and my TripAdvisor friends).

But, anyway, back to Robert The Doll...just Google him and then take a trip over to East Martell Fort your next Key West visit and snap his picture---without asking his permission.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 01:53
In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

I've heard of many stories about Robert the Doll. Most people were happy to share their stories. I have no first hand experience, so I didn't want to comment. But maybe others are feeling the same as you?

"I never, ever believed in "the great beyond"...until my encounter with Hemingway in 2011---and I was stone cold sober. And I don't expect the majority of people to believe me...so I keep it a secret (sharing it only with a couple of people and my TripAdvisor friends)."

Did you post your secret? I may have missed it if you did.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Robert The Doll...(and other haunted Key West encounters)

OK Blueonblue...time to get back on your meds